Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Long Range Shooting At Big Game >

Long Range Shooting At Big Game

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Long Range Shooting At Big Game

Old 03-15-2003, 10:26 PM

Default RE: Long Range Shooting At Big Game

well lets just go out and show some videos of really long shots and let everyone try it cause they seen it on a video. between this 800 yd shot or this 2000 yd shot how many other people are between you and your target.??????????? you' re correct that it is a good rifle man that can make this kind of shot but i don' t think that he is an actual hunter, cause no hunter i know would even try a shot like that when we know that we could get alot closer, now that' s the thrill of the hunt getting close enough to hear the air enter his lungs or the whites of it' s eyes not " well i shot this elk at 800-2000 yds" . ask beaverjack about 3 legged elk or gut shot elk. a real hunter would live for the hunt and everything that leads to the kill. not taking a mile long shot and then hoping that it will still be there when you finally get to it or if you even find it. JUST MY 2 CENTS
[email protected]
Old 03-15-2003, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

DARTanian

It' s a good two cents, I couldn' t agree more. elknut1
Old 03-16-2003, 06:10 AM

John-Good luck with your new shooting the west show. Please tell me when and what channel so I can not watch it. I could care less what antis or anyone else thinks, just wonder how much hunting knowledge you will pass on to the youth of America with your show. When I lived in Oregon we outfished every show dude for salmon and once rowed around the bend to see the famous Fishing the West host playing a bent coathanger that a crew guy was holding as fishing was very slow. We only had 5 salmon in our drift boat. Are you related to same show? The great thing about this country is I control my remote.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:00 AM

Ok I have two questions: What were you shooting and why didn' t you get closer? Sure I can hit an elk 95% of the time at 450+ yards but I sure like those 100 yard chip shots. Why even put yourself in that position? If I can get closer I do. I took my biggest buck ever this year while stalking another buck. I popped up over a ridge to check the distance (he was facing away from me) and didn' t realize the other buck was watching me until he stood up. I either had the choice to let him walk or shoot. I connected at 375 yards and then put him down for good at point blank. If I had known he was there the shot would have been 150 even though I know he would have been dead from where I killed him.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:32 PM

I have to say that I have taken these long shots but I dont condone these long shots without knowing what your gun is capable of and practice.
What scares me here is that if you put this on a TV SHOW it wil promote it to people wanting to try it and end up with wounded animals and what it promotes the most is flock shooting. Iam not saying without training that its not possible but TV is not the place to show it and it adds more fuel to the fire for antis.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:42 PM

John B,

The folks who bash your style of hunting and say it feeds the antis are the antis. The Gungrabbers don' t care what you use. They want it. They don' t care how carefull you are, they want you out of the woods. Period. Get a grip.

As far as shooting, I have a Savage .220 Extremist. I don' t shoot at even squirrels unless they are at least 400 yards away. Awhile back one of the farmers teenage sons came by to say " Hi" while we were shooting at some rock chucks on the rocks beyond a field which was 1/4 mile accross. He wanted to shoot. I had him sit down at the portable shooting stand. I showed him I unloaded the rifle and told him to pick a rock. He needed to feel the ultralight trigger. After I heard the dryfire, I loaded the rifle. I found a chuck with the binocs and direced him to it. I told him don' t be doin' any Kentucky windage. I have already adjusted the scope for windage and range. BANG! The chuck fell over dead. A novice made a long shot on his first try.

I have not, but would not hesitate to make a 500 yard shot at a deer or an elk under the correct conditions.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

We have a lot of long range shooting of big game on video and will probably run some of it on our show. When I say long range I mean 500 yds - 800yds (laser range finder). All are one-shot kills with most animals dropping immediately to the shot.
John B you said it all its not hunting it' s shooting ...an Elk or any other magnificent animal is not a freaking paper target...It is a living breathing animal that has to be shown more respect than sniping him/her from 1/2 mile or more away. Only scumbag enemies of our country should be shot like that and have to because they can shoot back and possibly kill us. What kind of thrill do you get out of that . I mean there are/used to be people in PA members of some sort of long range club that shot deer at 1000+ yards but please I would not want that in the majority of hunters. Before I ever picked up a rifle I was a bowhunter and really enjoyed getting within stone throwing distance of any animal this type of shooting is so different than that I cannot condone it.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:12 PM

John B, The guys are ridin ya pretty hard about this one. I' ve gotta agree with' em. Becoming a better shot is only one of so many ways to become a better hunter. By reaching out so far to touch something, there isn' t much hunting involved, just shooting. Well, a shot, anyway. While such skills are admirable, it' s tough to advertise on a national level, and get the point across properly. I wouldn' t recommend it.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:38 AM

I have been into a few debates on this topic in a few firearms related forums. Regardless of the ethics involved, the main problem I have with it is one of safety. It violates one of the basic firearms safety rules. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it. Many times they do not connect with their first shot at the 800 to 1,000 yard range due to wind and other factors etc... They use this shot to gain data to make the following shot. I feel you should not even pull the trigger if you are not sure of where the round is going to impact. There may be another hunter near his animal stalking it or maybe a bowhunter nearby. At that range, you don' t know. Shooting on a rifle range at 1000 yards is fun to watch, but it is a controlled environment where there is a backstop and safety officials.

Old 03-17-2003, 09:38 AM

Yes that sounds interesting.
I would like to also see the setup for the shots and the factors taken into consideration before making the shot, such as wind, range, angle, sight-in,
bullet, velocity, caliber etc.
I have taken animals out to 500 yards. This is a shot I have practiced an am very familiar with what is required to make a shot like that, and if the conditions are right am confident making it. The trick is to know when the conditions are not right and then to have the character to not attempt the shot.
I hope this is not going to be another run of the mill hunting show with guided hunts on private land, boring.

Quick Reply: Long Range Shooting At Big Game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.