HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Long Range Shooting At Big Game
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2003, 06:42 PM
Ringman

Default RE: Long Range Shooting At Big Game

John B,

The folks who bash your style of hunting and say it feeds the antis are the antis. The Gungrabbers don' t care what you use. They want it. They don' t care how carefull you are, they want you out of the woods. Period. Get a grip.

As far as shooting, I have a Savage .220 Extremist. I don' t shoot at even squirrels unless they are at least 400 yards away. Awhile back one of the farmers teenage sons came by to say " Hi" while we were shooting at some rock chucks on the rocks beyond a field which was 1/4 mile accross. He wanted to shoot. I had him sit down at the portable shooting stand. I showed him I unloaded the rifle and told him to pick a rock. He needed to feel the ultralight trigger. After I heard the dryfire, I loaded the rifle. I found a chuck with the binocs and direced him to it. I told him don' t be doin' any Kentucky windage. I have already adjusted the scope for windage and range. BANG! The chuck fell over dead. A novice made a long shot on his first try.

I have not, but would not hesitate to make a 500 yard shot at a deer or an elk under the correct conditions.