Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Camp food

Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Camp food

Chili is great. You can put it into gallon jugs and then freeze it solid.... It helps keep other food cold until your ready to use it as a meal. Could also do the same with stew....
Old 09-03-2008, 05:00 PM

My favorite is rice& hamburger burritoes in the evenings and potato & egg burritos in the mornings. All pre-made, wrapped, vac sealed, then froze. All you have to do is pop one in boiling water to heat it up, remove it or leave it in the bag, add a little salsa or hot sauce, and enjoy. Camp cleanup is easy afterwards as well
Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: finnbear

All I can say is YUCK!!!!!!!
I have an elk camp, we have anywhere from 6 to 15 guys, I do all the cooking...and I mean cooking!! not this have your wife cook something up and put in a bag or Tupperware and U take it to elk camp heat it up and say damn I did good!!!!!
I charge every one $200 for the season and I provide all the beer and food, if they want booze it's BYOB!!!
we have salmon steak or fillets, tuna steaks, beef steaks...fresh salads, fresh baked bread (1 thing I do have my wife do), pasta dishes U name it we have most likely had it!!! C'mon here guys iffn ya gonna cook ...then cook!!!!!!!! I ain't that hard!!!!
As stated, when and where do I come???

However, I am definately a hunter, and not a cook. For those that are both, great, but I leave camp way before daylight and come back well after dark, so as stated by others, the last thing I want is to cook.

I cook meals ahead of time, let them simmer, then let them sit in the fridge for a day to let the flavors mingle, then freeze for the trip. I guess you have to go with the flow, but spagetti is still one of my favorites. Easy and has all the essentials.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Okay...at the risk of having everyone think us campers.....
Then again, WTF do I care what you people think? I/we do what we like, which is as it should be in my book.

If you have read some of my posts back when we started our Rocky Mt. adventures, you know that we look like the Joads coming from Tx to Co. We have a base camp that is drive up. So we bring everything that makes us happy. Including an apartment sized cook stove and a griddle out of an old burger joint, among other things. (only works if you have enough people in camp to make it feasable and to help setup as they are heavy)
I have promised to post pics in the past, now that I am amping up for the trip, I will try and do so. I do 90% percent of all meal purchasing and preparations prior to elk camp, but the actual cooking/cleaning at camp is shared by all. I am a control freak by nature and like EKM said, most hunters are not, especially when it comes to preparation of any kind and most notably the food!!!
We have a full "brunch" for those that make it back to camp most mid-mornings. Eggs to order, biscuits, gravy, potato's, sausage, bacon etc. We can cook 2lbs of sausage or baconand hash browns for 8-10 people on the propane griddle at the same time. (I like some fresh jalapeno and onion chopped up in the hash browns.) Cook a couple dozen biscuits in the oven and then finish with eggs. Either all scrambled or a mix with some fried on the griddle or even an omelette. Cooks choice.
Dinner varys. I smoke up a couple of briskets and some ribs, cook some deer/elk chili, some deer/elk beans, some etoufee (crawfish) etc. and freeze prior to departure. We also take steaks,baking potatosand hamburger fixin's as well. We like to have a steak grilled over the campfire and a potato cooked in the coals. But this is our "pre-opening day meal. Once the season starts, and until/if someone is sucessful, then most dinners are the warmed up food that was frozen prior to camp. I will say that we have a setup that allows us not to heat up by boiling in bags. Just pop in or on the stove and go.
We drive up from hot Texas and I just freeze everything that can be (eggs come to mind as not being frozen), then the night before we leave I place in large ice chests and then duct tape around the lids. No extra ice needed with the amount of frozen meat etc that are in them. In fact, most of the stuff will require some thawing even after several days in camp. I do put the eggs in a seperate ice chest along with a couple of gallons of frozen milk for keeping them cool. (Always poor out some of the milk/liquid before you freeze it as it will swell as it cools.)
If I am the one that is sucessful, I bring along some goodies to fix. Peach cobbler is my favorite, cooked in an iron skillet....Mmmm!
Needless to say, my buddies are all pulling for me to make a kill on opening morning!!!

It's a lot of work doing it the way we do, but we enjoy our camp and have never been skeered of work.
We have a separate cookshack along with a couple of wall tents for sleeping.
Was a little long winded as usual, but hope some of it helps those that are so inclined.
If you carry your camp on your back, then go to it and prosper, this was not meant for you.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: RedRiverHntr

Okay...at the risk of having everyone think us campers.....
Then again, WTF do I care what you people think? I/we do what we like, which is as it should be in my book.

If you have read some of my posts back when we started our Rocky Mt. adventures, you know that we look like the Joads coming from Tx to Co. We have a base camp that is drive up. So we bring everything that makes us happy. Including an apartment sized cook stove and a griddle out of an old burger joint, among other things. (only works if you have enough people in camp to make it feasable and to help setup as they are heavy)
I have promised to post pics in the past, now that I am amping up for the trip, I will try and do so. I do 90% percent of all meal purchasing and preparations prior to elk camp, but the actual cooking/cleaning at camp is shared by all. I am a control freak by nature and like EKM said, most hunters are not, especially when it comes to preparation of any kind and most notably the food!!!
We have a full "brunch" for those that make it back to camp most mid-mornings. Eggs to order, biscuits, gravy, potato's, sausage, bacon etc. We can cook 2lbs of sausage or baconand hash browns for 8-10 people on the propane griddle at the same time. (I like some fresh jalapeno and onion chopped up in the hash browns.) Cook a couple dozen biscuits in the oven and then finish with eggs. Either all scrambled or a mix with some fried on the griddle or even an omelette. Cooks choice.
Dinner varys. I smoke up a couple of briskets and some ribs, cook some deer/elk chili, some deer/elk beans, some etoufee (crawfish) etc. and freeze prior to departure. We also take steaks,baking potatosand hamburger fixin's as well. We like to have a steak grilled over the campfire and a potato cooked in the coals. But this is our "pre-opening day meal. Once the season starts, and until/if someone is sucessful, then most dinners are the warmed up food that was frozen prior to camp. I will say that we have a setup that allows us not to heat up by boiling in bags. Just pop in or on the stove and go.
We drive up from hot Texas and I just freeze everything that can be (eggs come to mind as not being frozen), then the night before we leave I place in large ice chests and then duct tape around the lids. No extra ice needed with the amount of frozen meat etc that are in them. In fact, most of the stuff will require some thawing even after several days in camp. I do put the eggs in a seperate ice chest along with a couple of gallons of frozen milk for keeping them cool. (Always poor out some of the milk/liquid before you freeze it as it will swell as it cools.)
If I am the one that is sucessful, I bring along some goodies to fix. Peach cobbler is my favorite, cooked in an iron skillet....Mmmm!
Needless to say, my buddies are all pulling for me to make a kill on opening morning!!!

It's a lot of work doing it the way we do, but we enjoy our camp and have never been skeered of work.
We have a separate cookshack along with a couple of wall tents for sleeping.
Was a little long winded as usual, but hope some of it helps those that are so inclined.
If you carry your camp on your back, then go to it and prosper, this was not meant for you.
We need pictures!