Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

montana tags

Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 AM

Default RE: montana tags

Some get Lucky. I drew mine and was hoping not to. First time applying. So much for the 12%

m30
Old 04-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

5 of us applied for Montana deer/elk combos this season. Out of the 5 of us, 2 guys drew who had 2 years of preference (group application), out of the other 3 with no prior poiints, 1 drew. Sad thing is, I wasn't the one guy that drew. I will be in Monatana none-the-less come September, we made a pact, if one guy drew we'd all go to help pack. So I'll be there learning this fall, unless I draw another elk tag somewhere else, or Bighorn sheep somewhere else.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: LUVtoHNT

Just found out this morning that our party of 4 got drawn for the Elk/Deer combo tags with no preference points. We have a ranch in the southeast part of the state lined up for the mule deer hunt. My buddy that organized the party had hunted there three years ago and says that getting a mule deer should not be that difficult but holding out for something special might be a long shot. My questionis if we are lucky enough to tag out on deer in the first two days we will try to find some elk(we will have rental vehicles and one guy is driving out so we can relocate). Not having a clue about elk distribution from Broadus MTcan anyone give me just a general idea of where we should look for public access land that holds some elk or even private land that may charge a daily walk on fee. Thanks for your help.
You will have to relocate from Broadus to hunt elk on a general tag. The elk tags around Broadus for rifle are all special draw.

Nemont
Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 PM

I am a resident of Montana, but my father drew for the second year in a row with no points. He bought the points both years, but didnt get them because he was successful. I have to say, your odds of drawing with no points is slightly better than 50%. With one point, it is around 67%. I sure hope it doesnt take my dad three more years to draw another tag. Some thing else Id like to say, if you cant killa muley buck out here AT WILL, find another place to hunt. There are deer EVERYWHERE out here. That is fact, not just my opinion. There are some nice bucks here as well, if you can lay off the trigger. I grew up hunting Pa. whitetails, this is a whole different ballgame out here. I have lived here for four years now, and still cant get over how good, and how easy the deer hunting is compared to back east. To all of you guys coming out this year, good luck, I know you will love it.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

You are 100% right. Lot of deer in Montana, and for people who come from say out east to hunt here. Not all sections of Montana aresuper high deer numbers, depends on the area. The hardest thing tois not shoot for people who dont have much expir. or are easterns, esp the first decent deer they see. Ive seen it so many times, shoot what they think is a big one and its actually just aOK deer or a dink. Esp when they run away and pin back there ears, hard to judge in that situation. All part of the fun, those big boys though aint justeasy to kill. They get pretty crafty to get that age class.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 PM

I agree with you completely beech. My first two seasons here I got trigger happy, and went dissapointed for the rest of the season. I know better now. Had a hard time keeping my dad of the trigger on a few average bucks last year, but he did and got a really nice 5x5. Ha passed up nine different bucks by 10:00 the first morning he was here. He just couldnt believe the deer numbers he saw. It took him two weeks to get a cow elk, so that was harder. The woods were so dry til the last week, we couldnt get in range til Thanksgiving day.