Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

montana tags

Old 03-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Default montana tags

Who applied for combo tags in montana this year?Do you have any points from the last 2 years?It took 3 years to get my tags last year.I am hoping with the fuel prices there will be less people appling this fall ,in turrn uping my odds to a two years wait.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: montana tags

can you apply for points only in MT? for any specie? for antelope? I want to draw an antelope tag there next year, but nto this year, but i want pts this year, so if not i guess ill just have to apply for a tough unit
Old 03-20-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I applied. No bonus points but I'm feelin lucky. 3 years seems exceptionally UNLUCKY doesn't it dayna? I figured 2 years on the outside. If I don't draw, I'm goin somewhere OTC. Just hope plane tickets don't double by this summer.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:09 AM

I think the only way to get points is to sent the money for the tags and an extra $20 .If your turn down you get a point for next year then next year you have to give them $20 more dallor to use the point or in my case in 2004 get another pt. .Then on the 3rd. year sent an extra $20 and your a shoein.I had a cousin living in greatfalls in the early 90s and I flew out every time .About 10 years ago I took a friend that drove for a living and he was scared of flyingso wedrove ,I liked being able to take everything I could possably need ,extrabag, pack, lantrens,tents,stoves, food ect. Someone said on here you have a 10% chance of getting drawn on your first year and 50% chance on your 2nd. year.Good luck to all.

[/align]
Old 03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

Who applied for combo tags in montana this year?Do you have any points from the last 2 years?It took 3 years to get my tags last year.I am hoping with the fuel prices there will be less people appling this fall ,in turrn uping my odds to a two years wait.
You can hope, though I've never heard of this really stopping a guy from going hunting, nor should it. I'm curious to know at what price people will affect their driving habits? I think it could be $10/gal and most people wouldn't change, I'm not sure at what point it would matter, maybe somewhere in the $10-$20/gal price range? Boy do we need an energy change in this country. And why is diesel so expensive? Should be cheaper than gas!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Spike

I am one in a group of 5 that applied for the montana big game combo license. This is our first year but we are also feeling lucky. I can't believe that it would take up to three years to get that tag. I have a relative and a friend out there that thought the chance of drawing the NR Combo was about 60%. But I guess we will find out in the middle of April if we were successful or not. If we are not lucky enough we may still do an OTC hunt in Colorado but we have been researching Montana like crazy. So we would have to switch states and start the researching process all over again. But either way draw or not it has been awesome planning for such a trip. Though it will be a bummer.[X(]
Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I drew my ant tag the 1st year, though the plan was for probably a 3yr wait.....and my father and I dont want to draw the tag this year, so thats why im curious about just points.....

I think a group of 5 will hurt the odds wont it? cause in a sense if 4 out of 5 of you draw....then none of you draw? and wait til next year....? or do they do something special for groups to increase their chances? Im pretty sure though if one guy has 2pts and the other has 1....they avg them, so if your group avg is 1.5 they round up....so in that sense it can help....
Old 03-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 3yr wait does seem like a long wait for the general tag... I thought the odds of drawing it out of the gate was 50%.... Drew one last year with zero points...
Old 03-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Spike

We didn't apply as a group. We applied individual cause I didn't see any advatage to applying as a group. Either way if one of us draws we were all going anyway just for the mountain experience. I did lots of research andtalking with the licensing department in Montana and a group of five only gets one number and one chance to draw.So we took the odds and each got our own number so there is now a1 in 5 chance that someone will draw instead of a 1 to 1 chance.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Im a resident of Montana so Im not totally up on the non-resident process to know exactly. If applying in a group and the members have differnt points, yes the high point person could be pulled down. Just depends who has what for points. Isnt applying in a group, all it takes for 1 person from the group to get there name drawn, then everyone in the partygets drawn as they are all tied together. I could be corrected here but I believe thats the way it goes? So all reality a party would help your oddsin drawing the tag as each person has the chance to draw, and if that happens the whole group gets the tags.

Quick Reply: montana tags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.