Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA ELK TAGS ?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default PA ELK TAGS ?

Does anyone out there know how many elk tag applications the PGC gets every year for the small number of tags they actually issue ? Just curious due to the fact that the unsucessfull applications are not returned and the monies collected not refunded(another PGC money making scheme).
Old 12-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA ELK TAGS ?

scheme is such an ugly word.

But as long as its a voluntary cost so be it.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

other states do the same i paid for alot of moose tags before i acually got one
Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

As bowtruck said. The elk tag lottery is a very common way for states with limited tags to make some money from a species. I have no problem with lotteries like that although I think the proceeds ought to go specifically toward that species in some way. Much more is being spent on Elk than is raised by them but a lot of money comes from outside sources like the RMEF
Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I was just curious as to how many applications they actually recieve.I agree that the money should go to the management of that species.All that being said,is the money made from the applications the only reason they issue a small number of tags or or is it really necessary to harvest these animals.I know every year the PGC gets damage complaints from the elk but the number of animals harvested evry year by permit seems to be quite small and i'm sure they are all not the animals responsible for the crop damage.Just one of these subjects that make you say "hmmmmm" ????
Old 12-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the rsource can handle a hunting season,why not let people hunt them?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fellas2

I was just curious as to how many applications they actually recieve.I agree that the money should go to the management of that species.All that being said,is the money made from the applications the only reason they issue a small number of tags or or is it really necessary to harvest these animals.I know every year the PGC gets damage complaints from the elk but the number of animals harvested evry year by permit seems to be quite small and i'm sure they are all not the animals responsible for the crop damage.Just one of these subjects that make you say "hmmmmm" ????
Think about what you just asked Rodger. The job of the PGC is to manage all wildlife in the state. Both game and nongame species. Doesn't it makse sense that the PGC manageto expandhunting and trapping opportunities whenever possible?

BTW, I just readin yesterdays paper where the PGC is likely to include fishers, a subject of another thread here, as a harvestable furbearer species by 2010.

Lots of things arent perfect with the PGC but they seem to get criticized for just about everything by someone.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Spike

fellas2 cant give you an exact number but it,s been dropping every yr. Maybe Bodenhorn or someone else knows. I know it dropped and it,s been dropping every yr but for the exact number it escapes me right now.