Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

300 win mag

Old 03-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 300 win mag

300+fps more velocity with the 300wm vs 308 which equals flatter trajectory and more retained energy with the same 180gr bullet. At close ranges the difference is moot but stretch that out to 300 +and this is where the bigger case shows its worth for larger then deer game. The 308win isn't as effecient with the heavierfor cal bullets makes the 300wm a better choice when considering it for such applications.IME the 308win as at its best in the 150-165 range all things considered. Not saying it won't work with 180's etc just that their are better cartridges in the caliber which where designed for this application. If your were to compare the 3006 to 300wm I'd agree the difference are more numeric with the 180gr then game performance...however step that up to the 200's and I'd lean back to 300wm having the edge. In this case the poster said this is his NA "Big Game" specific rifle, so therfor when looking at the game, bullets and cartridges in the .308 cal I agree the 300's are the best choice for 180-220grs bullets 1'd be loading. However my advice was skip the .308's entirelyand move to the proven and highly effective NA Big game cartridge the .338wm. Big bullet that produces more energy and retains it as well, works great cloase and far. Also if staring down the nostril of a grizzly I'dpersonally feel better having a .338 250gr NP then a .308 180NP. I am not talking about hunting grizzly but rather the fact the other game co-exist with the likes of the big bears would mean I'd consider what is suited for such critters in the evident I ran into one on my yukon moose kill. JMO

Had he included africa I'dhave said375H&H.

Numbers aren't all MV related IMO but rather based on bullet to case matched for effeciency for the application (game).
Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

300+fps more velocity with the 300wm vs 308 which equals flatter trajectory and more retained energy with the same 180gr bullet. At close ranges the difference is moot but stretch that out to 300 +and this is where the bigger case shows its worth for larger then deer game. The 308win isn't as effecient with the heavierfor cal bullets makes the 300wm a better choice when considering it for such applications.IME the 308win as at its best in the 150-165 range all things considered. Not saying it won't work with 180's etc just that their are better cartridges in the caliber which where designed for this application. If your were to compare the 3006 to 300wm I'd agree the difference are more numeric with the 180gr then game performance...however step that up to the 200's and I'd lean back to 300wm having the edge. In this case the poster said this is his NA "Big Game" specific rifle, so therfor when looking at the game, bullets and cartridges in the .308 cal I agree the 300's are the best choice for 180-220grs bullets 1'd be loading. However my advice was skip the .308's entirelyand move to the proven and highly effective NA Big game cartridge the .338wm. Big bullet that produces more energy and retains it as well, works great cloase and far. Also if staring down the nostril of a grizzly I'dpersonally feel better having a .338 250gr NP then a .308 180NP. I am not talking about hunting grizzly but rather the fact the other game co-exist with the likes of the big bears would mean I'd consider what is suited for such critters in the evident I ran into one on my yukon moose kill. JMO

Had he included afirca I'd say skip the .338wm and get a 375H&H.

The numbers aren't all MV related but rather based on bullet to case match for the best effeciency for the application (game).

Correct.. But the quote I was referring to specifically said deer.. I agree on Big Game out passed 300yards there is a bennefit..
Old 03-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like to chase 'em after I hit them.
Hmmm, the way I read this is, someone doesn't like to chase wounded animals! Nothing more, nothing less. It says NOTHING about killing "quicker"!!
Of course this is the internet and it would be a rather boring place if there weren't people that like to "read into" things that aren't said.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:46 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....Okay, I'm about to buy a 300 win mag, but I want to make sure I am buying the right gun. I mainly want this gun to be used for bigger hunts in the future i.e. Moose, Elk, Black bear etc..

I already have a 30-30 for deer, and a 270 in the arsenal as well...."
God bless ya. 300WinMag is a great one. A 338WinMag or 338RUM would even be better but at least you are stepping up your level of play.

Thanks for recognizing the wisdom of upping your tools to more match your intended tasks.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is a 300 WM going to do anything a 30-06 can't do, no. It will however do it a little faster. If all he plans to hunt is elk, moose, and black bear than the 270 is plenty as long as you use the right bullet. The 30-06 a little better, the 300 a little more. Being a handloader when faced with this decision with a 307 and a 30-06 I decided to go to the 35 Whelen. But then I have a thing for working off of the 30-06case. I agree with BB and Skeeter, add a little more spacing in your arsenal. After all dead is dead and you will not be undergunned with a 300 but you can also never be overgunned either. Here is some other food for thought, with all of the newer cartridges available today there are some other considerations that should be thought of. Are you a handloader? or will you be buying factory cartridges? Moving up to the Magnums also cost more money when purchasing ammo.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My father-in-law is a hand loader, but I don't think I will shoot it enough to justfiy the cost.

I appreciate all the thoughts about the 338 win mag. However, I decided to go with the 300 savage accutrigger. I am already looking at getting a leupold scope for it. I went to guns and ammo and looked at all the ballastics charts and I figured out of all of the calibers that the 300 was right for me. It has the ability to take out bear, moose, elk, mule deer and that is really what I wanted it for.

Thanks again guys!!! This site really isa great wealth of information.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

robbcayman,
You will be very happy with your 300-win mag. I hunted with one for over 20-years, Ikilledpronghorn, whitetails, mule deer, elk & black beer with mine.

Good luck hunting,

WK
Old 03-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have/bought a .300 win mag before the .300 WSM came out, now I'm considering trading it to a .300 WSM in a more lightweight setup, though I suspect I'll just hangon to it since I want other rifles first. I'd just consider the .300 WSM.

Since you mentioned elk, moose, black bear, I'm a big fan of any of the .338's, and since you already ahve a .270 and 30.30. The .300 win mag is a solid round, that will be here forever, the .300 WSM is also a success and will be here, my thoughts are a lighter setup in .300 wsm would be nice along with that bigger/heavier .338 when I want it/need it, also when you have a .338 now you can truly hunt anything in NA and do it well, brown bear, etc...and feelsafe doing so.

I don't know much about savage arms, I'm sure i've looked at their website, buy the nicest gun you can I say, after all I plan to keep them around for more than 1 lifetime. Everyone has their own views etc....personally one area I justify going a bit overboard is on the thoughts of a nice firearm. So whatever category you're looking in, you may take a look at 1 step up and consider spending a few bucks more now, after all in 30yrs that will only cost you more.

.338 Win. Mag, any .338 would be awesome, im a fan, .338 RUM, .340 wby. may consider a .338, combined with your 270 now you'll never need another rifle for NA anyway.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

a .300 win mag vs. a .338 WM I wouldn't worry about faster kills etc....but on teh big stuff, say grizzly I wouldn't use a .300, i would use a .338, or a .375, but 2 bullets going the same velocity, the bigger one should lose velocity slower than the ie 250gr bullets slow down slower vs 180gr, though you're also considering BC etc....a .338 is a great combo of big and fast, whereas the .300 tends to be more fast IMO, and .375 is more heavy than fast, a .338 I've heard called as an alaskan's all around, like in a alaska a man has a .338, in texas he may have a .270, in colorado a .30-06, in africa a .375, my vote is for a .338, though a .300 I dont see as overlap eventhough you have a .30 30 while it is a .308 caliber its less powerful than a .270, either way you go its a nice round, but I've just continue to love the .338, and also not eveyone has a .338, but seems like everyone has a .300 WM.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

Save your $$$, use the 270.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.