HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 win mag
Thread: 300 win mag
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 02:41 PM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 300 win mag

I have/bought a .300 win mag before the .300 WSM came out, now I'm considering trading it to a .300 WSM in a more lightweight setup, though I suspect I'll just hangon to it since I want other rifles first. I'd just consider the .300 WSM.

Since you mentioned elk, moose, black bear, I'm a big fan of any of the .338's, and since you already ahve a .270 and 30.30. The .300 win mag is a solid round, that will be here forever, the .300 WSM is also a success and will be here, my thoughts are a lighter setup in .300 wsm would be nice along with that bigger/heavier .338 when I want it/need it, also when you have a .338 now you can truly hunt anything in NA and do it well, brown bear, etc...and feelsafe doing so.

I don't know much about savage arms, I'm sure i've looked at their website, buy the nicest gun you can I say, after all I plan to keep them around for more than 1 lifetime. Everyone has their own views etc....personally one area I justify going a bit overboard is on the thoughts of a nice firearm. So whatever category you're looking in, you may take a look at 1 step up and consider spending a few bucks more now, after all in 30yrs that will only cost you more.

.338 Win. Mag, any .338 would be awesome, im a fan, .338 RUM, .340 wby. may consider a .338, combined with your 270 now you'll never need another rifle for NA anyway.