Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

300 win mag

Old 03-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 300 win mag

If I were purchasing a dedicated big game rifle I would also go 30 cal or larger in order get some separation from your 270. The WSM may offer some advantages with regard to rifle weight if that is a consideration.

I have fired the 300 RUM and its recoil is strong but not as bad I expected. In fact there are several reduced power offerings from 30-06 to 300 WM to 300 RUM. Thismay allow you find your comfort level. Not to metion next time you go shooting you can shoot 150 grain 06 loads, and slip in a 200 grain full power RUM load when you let you buddy shoot one.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300 win mag

When I was hunting with a gun years ago, I only had 2, 223 for coyotes, and 300WM, for me back then real good load bear hunting. Today if I was to go bear hunting with a gun it would be 300WM.