HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 win mag
Thread: 300 win mag
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 01:14 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 300 win mag

300+fps more velocity with the 300wm vs 308 which equals flatter trajectory and more retained energy with the same 180gr bullet. At close ranges the difference is moot but stretch that out to 300 +and this is where the bigger case shows its worth for larger then deer game. The 308win isn't as effecient with the heavierfor cal bullets makes the 300wm a better choice when considering it for such applications.IME the 308win as at its best in the 150-165 range all things considered. Not saying it won't work with 180's etc just that their are better cartridges in the caliber which where designed for this application. If your were to compare the 3006 to 300wm I'd agree the difference are more numeric with the 180gr then game performance...however step that up to the 200's and I'd lean back to 300wm having the edge. In this case the poster said this is his NA "Big Game" specific rifle, so therfor when looking at the game, bullets and cartridges in the .308 cal I agree the 300's are the best choice for 180-220grs bullets 1'd be loading. However my advice was skip the .308's entirelyand move to the proven and highly effective NA Big game cartridge the .338wm. Big bullet that produces more energy and retains it as well, works great cloase and far. Also if staring down the nostril of a grizzly I'dpersonally feel better having a .338 250gr NP then a .308 180NP. I am not talking about hunting grizzly but rather the fact the other game co-exist with the likes of the big bears would mean I'd consider what is suited for such critters in the evident I ran into one on my yukon moose kill. JMO

Had he included africa I'dhave said375H&H.

Numbers aren't all MV related IMO but rather based on bullet to case matched for effeciency for the application (game).