Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Side arm vs. Grizzley

Old 01-12-2008, 08:36 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Default RE: Side arm vs. Grizzley

Lots of good advice so far, been there and done that , my .44 seemed woefully inadequate when I was in the presence of grizzlys in Wyo, that being said I have hunted with my .44 since 1972 and have killed a lot of animals deer/pig/coyotes and bobcats also bear hunted but with no luck so far, with all the hoopla about the .460/.454/.480 and the mighty .500 I still carry my .44 because I'm proficient with it out to about 75 yds with open sight's. useing xtp's /Garrett or Buffalo Bore ammo the .44 is a formidable weapon it will punch completely through both shoulders on a deer at 40 yds . The key to your saftey is becoming a cool good shot and staying within your accuracy range. Last year a guy (lucky rascal ) killed a charging grizzly at about 8 yds with his .44 in Alaska so it can be done and it sure beats the hell out of fighting a bear with your bare hands. I carry a S/W 629 s/s .44 in a modified nylon shoulder holster and even hiking/hunting for miles it doesn't get heavy, my previous Rugers were way to heavy to be comfortable all day.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:18 PM

I am going to be purchasing a Ruger Redhawk 4" in the very near future for a backup gun in bear country. I think with the Garrett cartridges and endless factory loads available it'd be a better option if you found yourself in need of ammo. I carry my Vaquero 357 with 180gr hardcasts around home for black bear and I feel it to be quite adequate. Just practice and practice because if you can't hit a bear under pressure it dont matter if you have a .22 or a RPG you'll be turning up as little brown piles in the woods.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Spike

Thanks to all for your replies.

I was originally thinking about taking my .45 auto because I can lay out 7 shots in a very short amount of time thinking that 7 from a .45 was better than 2 or 3 from a .44. I can borrow a Redhawk .44 with a 6" barrel.

I think I will go only with the pepper spray unless my 2 fellow hunters also decide to pack because I highly doubt I would be able to hit that beer can size brain on a moving griz.

The likelihood of seeing a griz is slim. the odds of having one attack is even slimmer. If I had to choose one weapon it would be my 12 ga. with 00.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Daisy Red Ryder followed with a rocket propelled grenade launcher
Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Droptine

Thanks to all for your replies.

I was originally thinking about taking my .45 auto because I can lay out 7 shots in a very short amount of time thinking that 7 from a .45 was better than 2 or 3 from a .44. I can borrow a Redhawk .44 with a 6" barrel.

I think I will go only with the pepper spray unless my 2 fellow hunters also decide to pack because I highly doubt I would be able to hit that beer can size brain on a moving griz.

The likelihood of seeing a griz is slim. the odds of having one attack is even slimmer. If I had to choose one weapon it would be my 12 ga. with 00.
It doesn't hurt to take your 45 anyway, and sure your odds are slim of seeing a griz, but add fresh Elk meat, a blood trail, and a hungery bear it does increase your odds a little. Good Luck.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 PM
usa
Fork Horn

keep in mind that pepper spray is like having someone else pack your parachute, your life is in the mfg's hand's, I've talked to 2 hunters who carried pepper spray and tested it before hand as reccomended and then had the spay clog up at a crucial time, I feel more confident dropping my cartridges in myself and being in charge of the situation to a certain extent, just curious, what makes you so sure that you won't run into a bear ?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Spike

I can't guarantee I won't run into a bear but I think the odds are in my favor. Chances are we shouldn't see one. Chances are if we do it will move away.

There will be 3 of us.Strength in numbers.

It is also my understanding bears don't like horses and have been known to be overly agressive toward them.

I can borrow a .44 mag and will probably take it along with the spray. I will encourage my hunting partner to also carry a .44.

If I really believe my odds were that great in getting attacked I wouldn't be going. I just want to take some reasonable precautions without over reacting. Famous last words.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Spike

Correction on last message. Bears have NOT been known to be overly agressive toward horses. They tend to leave them alone.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think .45 acp is adequate. It's not sufficient velocity resultiing in less force needed to break through the heavy bones of even the skull of a grizzly bear.
.44 mag or .454 casull revolver. I've gone to carrying while hunting Elk inwestern WYa Ruger Redhawk .44 mag.with Corbon 300 or 320 gr. hard cast bullets as a backup sidearm. These cast bulletswon't blow apart when hitting solid bone. I hope never to have to use it, but we did see mtn. lion tracks 3/4 way up the ridges in the dark woods bordering the area we shot our Elk this year. So, one has to be alert and prepared. Stay safe.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live and bowhunt in griz country and have much respect. While slipping in to my treestand prior to daylight and seeing signs of griz ranking trees along the way is kinda nervy. People get attacked and eaten here on the north end of Glacier/Waterton Parks every year so the thought is always in the back of my head that an encounter with a griz is high. I have never had an actual face off with a griz but I have had some encounters with blackies. A black bear is kinda like encountering a dog, some run and some attack, but a griz is totally different and your not on top of the food chain. I have had the living beegeezus scared out of me when I've encountered black sows with cubs and have been fortunate that the've ran off but its not that so with a griz. A griz has a personal space off appoximately a 100 yrds and if your within that range you are a potential threat. Year before last we had a griz sow that had 3 cubs and the sow would actually charge and ram vehicles comeing up the moutain here.
A pistol will give you added confidence but to make a lethal shot at a charging griz when your stricken with fear only happens on TV, even with a possiblefatal shot the adrelian in the bear will be enough to kill you and you'll end up as bear patties. Bear spray is the best deterent as this will usually stop a bear in its tracks and buy you a moment before another possible attack. Grizzlies often make false charges before making the actual attack and this is where bear spray works. The most important thing is always be aware of your surroundings and be wise when foraging along streams when sounds are deaden.
Good Luck.

Bobby
Motana Bowhunter Instructor

Quick Reply: Side arm vs. Grizzley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.