HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Side arm vs. Grizzley
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Side arm vs. Grizzley

I live and bowhunt in griz country and have much respect. While slipping in to my treestand prior to daylight and seeing signs of griz ranking trees along the way is kinda nervy. People get attacked and eaten here on the north end of Glacier/Waterton Parks every year so the thought is always in the back of my head that an encounter with a griz is high. I have never had an actual face off with a griz but I have had some encounters with blackies. A black bear is kinda like encountering a dog, some run and some attack, but a griz is totally different and your not on top of the food chain. I have had the living beegeezus scared out of me when I've encountered black sows with cubs and have been fortunate that the've ran off but its not that so with a griz. A griz has a personal space off appoximately a 100 yrds and if your within that range you are a potential threat. Year before last we had a griz sow that had 3 cubs and the sow would actually charge and ram vehicles comeing up the moutain here.
A pistol will give you added confidence but to make a lethal shot at a charging griz when your stricken with fear only happens on TV, even with a possiblefatal shot the adrelian in the bear will be enough to kill you and you'll end up as bear patties. Bear spray is the best deterent as this will usually stop a bear in its tracks and buy you a moment before another possible attack. Grizzlies often make false charges before making the actual attack and this is where bear spray works. The most important thing is always be aware of your surroundings and be wise when foraging along streams when sounds are deaden.
Good Luck.

Bobby
Motana Bowhunter Instructor