HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Side arm vs. Grizzley
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 08:36 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Default RE: Side arm vs. Grizzley

Lots of good advice so far, been there and done that , my .44 seemed woefully inadequate when I was in the presence of grizzlys in Wyo, that being said I have hunted with my .44 since 1972 and have killed a lot of animals deer/pig/coyotes and bobcats also bear hunted but with no luck so far, with all the hoopla about the .460/.454/.480 and the mighty .500 I still carry my .44 because I'm proficient with it out to about 75 yds with open sight's. useing xtp's /Garrett or Buffalo Bore ammo the .44 is a formidable weapon it will punch completely through both shoulders on a deer at 40 yds . The key to your saftey is becoming a cool good shot and staying within your accuracy range. Last year a guy (lucky rascal ) killed a charging grizzly at about 8 yds with his .44 in Alaska so it can be done and it sure beats the hell out of fighting a bear with your bare hands. I carry a S/W 629 s/s .44 in a modified nylon shoulder holster and even hiking/hunting for miles it doesn't get heavy, my previous Rugers were way to heavy to be comfortable all day.