Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Side arm vs. Grizzley

Old 03-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Side arm vs. Grizzley

Grizzly = shotgun/slugs, if the law permitted me to carry while bowhunting, glad we don't have to worry about them here in California & Arizona. We can't carry a sidearm or any arm here when hunting with a bow, in California or Arizona.
Pepper spraywould be alright for black bears...I would not be brave enough to try it on a grizzly.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 PM

A 44 mag has about the same energy as a 30-30. I think I would like a little bigger medicine when hunting griz, especially mad griz. That 500 Alaskan sounds like it might have the punch. A .450 guide gun would work too, but not so good as backup for a bow hunter. That little .22 short pistol might be the real answer...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:42 PM

My son in Alaska tells me that most of the residents up there favor the 12 gauge "Defender" type shotgun over any of the handguns. However, he also tells me that alot of folks favor a handgun because they know they will carry it ALL OF THETIME and not leave it sitting in camp after the first few days afield. In terms of handgun caliber, he says just as many of them carry a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC with +P loads as those that carry the 44Mag or something bigger. His recommendation to me when I came up to fish with him was to buy the biggest, badest, handgun that I knew I could and would practice with, alot. As he put it, a 454 Causull or 480 Ruger Alaskan isn't being overgunned with a griz,but any gun will get you killed if you can't hit him where it does the most good. That being said, I test fired a few of my freinds big handguns and decided upon the Blackhawk in 45LC with a good user friendly shoulder holster. I regularly shoot it with lighter loads because I enjoy it. That makes me extremely familiar and proficient with the firearm & the holster I have. But for the two months before I go to Alaska, I put in a weekly season at the range with the super hot "Bear Loads" for it. (O'Course, it makes me slightly more comfortable because I usually fish within eyesight of my boy who just happens to have his 12 gauge slung over his back 100% of the time.) (Also note, when I'm in camp up there, I am always wearing that pistol. When I go to the outhouse, or walk down to the creek to get a bucket of water, I borrow my Son's 12 gauge.)

Regards, & Good Huntin',
LlindeX
Old 03-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Spike

All that being said can you imagine walking around there back in the day when all you had was a muzzleloader.