Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk hunt scenario!  What's best tactic? >

Elk hunt scenario! What's best tactic?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunt scenario! What's best tactic?

Old 09-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Elk hunt scenario! What's best tactic?

Ok, my son and I are rookie elk hunters and have returned from a hunt in Colorado recently. We had bugling bulls near and sometimes within sight. First morning we had a bull in aspens that we called within 150 yards and he hung up. We're familiar with turkey hunting and elk seem to be similar except for the scent factor. We believe we weretoo cautious in waiting for him to present a shot in an open avalanche shute. We feel we should've been more aggressive and one of us should've closed the distance into the aspens while the other stayed back and called. The wind was in our favor. Is this thetactic most would've taken?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk hunt scenario! What's best tactic?

That is a very popular tactic, one caller or more behind the shooter. One thing to concider, is the older the bull the better our calling usually needs to be. Usually, you let the bull dictate how muchcalling you do, much like a turkey. But, play the wrong note to an older bull, and game over.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:02 PM

For me, the reason I like to hear bugling is to know where the bull is. Then I go to him and cow call mostly if not exclusinvely. Bulls will hold up and yes, you have to go to them. Keep a caller back 40 - 50 yards to bring bull by you.

I am also using a Montana decoy for the first time this year. Anxious to see how it helps/works.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:25 PM

If there are two of you, you should always keep the caller back at least 50yds, and when you see that bull in site, start using the cow call more and start rustling branches(without him seeing you) and breaking branches to imitate a bull challenging him and then that bull will think that there is another bull wanting to fight or is about to do his business with one of his cows and that makes them mad and they should come running right in but if they still hold up then yes go to them.