Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sneaky tactic

Old 11-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sneaky tactic

On 3 different occasions, I have gone back to camp for a quick lunch, and snuck quietly back to my hunting spot and seen deer. The third time I killed a 10 pointer.. the other 2 times they saw me first and took off.
It seems to me that if I leave the woods and make a lot of noise, then sneak back to my spot quietly, that it is possible to fool the deer into thinking that no one is there. The spot I hunt is public land near thick pines where they bed.. usually a ground blind on a hillside.

It may have all been coincidence, but does anybody think this is a useful tactic? If so, I will make a lot of noise when going to my blind, set up my chair, then make a lot of noise leaving the area.. then sneak back quietly.

Let me know if anyone else has done this successfully.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:15 PM

Default RE: Sneaky tactic

I would try sneaking into the stand the first time. I don' t know if its coincidence or not, but everytime that I get tired of sitting and I get up and walk, when I come back, a lone deer has walked within 20 yards of where I had been.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deer are moving since the hunters are. Eat lunch in your stand and you won' t have to worry about sneaking back in.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:03 PM

i would be as quiet as i could going in, you never know, then just eat lunch there. But ive had the same thing happen to me before, only prob was that the deer i snuck bk in on were all doe , not an antler anywhere. coincidence or not, not sure.