Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone hunt a scenario like this? Map inside. >

Anyone hunt a scenario like this? Map inside.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone hunt a scenario like this? Map inside.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone hunt a scenario like this? Map inside.

For the most part, I feel my early post-season scouting last year has put me in some good locations this year. I've been also hiking the climber into a few new spots this year with moderate success (sightings wise). I've recently found a spot (well not really found, I knew it was there all along) that might actually be worth looking at, but it's an oddball one for sure.

Take a look at this map:

That white line is our property line, and yes it's bordering a small township road (paved, but very little traffic). For many seasons I would always see rubs right there along the road on our property (the most recent are indicated in YELLOW. The NW side of that road is a fairly deep hollow of pines/hemlocks. We don't own it, and it's not hunted much, but I'm assuming deer are bedding in there, and crossing the road at certain points into our field. This wood make sense as our property is the closest source for corn. I've always seen deer crossing our field roughly where the blue line is indicated, and I've been seeing deer several times where the white dots are (including the last time I walked out of there in the evening with a climber). The blue pin in the north is where I was considering setting up a stand. That strip of woods is narrow. Where the pin is, it's only about 20yds wide. Where the yellow dots are, it's about 5, lol. Just last night again when I was leaving a stand that's off this map to the south, I saw a deer crossing from the north where that blue line is...again. There's nothing in between these corn fields, but some hay (about knee high), but I know they're bedding in the area between the road and the corn field (saw bed marks), but it seems like such a haphazard spot to hunt. Right along a road like that? They're obviously crossing, but...really? I might even consider moving that point in a bit to the west into the even narrower strip, but I'm heisitant. I suppose I could hunt it one evening just to try, but to look at it on a map, it doesn't really look like a spot to hang a stand. I suppose you can't always go by what something looks like on a map, though, huh? Thoughts?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone hunt a scenario like this? Map inside.

Knowing how the deer move in PA, I'd assume those rubs are being made at night. If I were you and wanted to kill a buck in PA, I'd get off the fields, andget in the timber. What's that bottom look like? Is there a stream in there? Any good crossings in it that you can setup on for the primary wind?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Knowing how the deer move in PA, I'd assume those rubs are being made at night.
I'm assuming that as well, but I'm seeing deer cross here during legal hours a lot.

If I were you and wanted to kill a buck in PA, I'd get off the fields, andget in the timber. What's that bottom look like? Is there a stream in there? Any good crossings in it that you can setup on for the primary wind?
I agree. I don't like hunting opening fields, and the only reason I considered this spot was for what I'm seeing. I have a spot that LOOKS perfect on the map, but has yielded NOTHING in 4 sits. Here's that particular stand (marked #1 on the map):

So I feel I can't always be going by the maps, I have to transition where I'm actually seeing deer. As for the hollow to the north end on the first map, I don't own it, so I can't hunt it or tell you what's in there.

The acorn crop isn't all that great this year, but since I'm seeing absolutely nothing in the corn, and my food plot is getting hit mildly, I'm assuming there must be a few good acorn producing trees somewhere on the property, that I haven't found, or that are off our property.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go for it. If the road isn't that busy, & the deer are crossing, I say sit there. I have a few stands that I can easily see the road from. And years ago I shot a doe right after she crossed the back country road.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Go for it. If the road isn't that busy, & the deer are crossing, I say sit there. I have a few stands that I can easily see the road from. And years ago I shot a doe right after she crossed the back country road.
The road sees very little traffic. Maybe 10 cars per hour. We're supposed to have some crap weather this afternoon, but if the rain holds off, and we just have the strong NNW wind they're forecasting, I may try it.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Give it a shot, whats the worst that can happen, you dont see anything. One of my best spots is where the deer cross the road and stage in a little couple acre patch of woods before they hit a field. My stand is about 40 yards from the road, and thats only cause there isnt a better tree closer to where they are crossing.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like the rain should hold off. If I can find a tree, I'll probably go in tonight. Maybe I will take the camera to give you guys a feel for the area.