Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rut tactic question.. >

Rut tactic question..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rut tactic question..

Old 10-17-2006, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default Rut tactic question..

Here in Southeast missouri, most seem to think the rut is still a ways off. In view of some of the thoughts already shared here about the use of estrous scent, it seems most wouldn't use them just yet. I have a problem, and I like to here some of your thoughts. Friday morning, and again saturday morning I observed a nice buck chasing does in my foodplot. In fact I had him on the wrong side of my stand, at about 28 yards and got to watch him curl his lip and give the tending grunt several times satrday morning as he scent checked and chased does. I'm thinking I'll be breaking out some code blue doe in estrous on him in the next few days. Any suggestions to the contrary? Would buck urine be more effective? I'm excited and though I was very disappointed to not get a shot at him saturday morning, I'm hopeful I'll catch him again checking does in the next week or so.

Suggestions? Rattling? decoys?

GH
Old 10-17-2006, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rut tactic question..

Im almost 100% sure the rut is not here yet. Looks as if hes in a good pre-rut though. There has been a little chasing in the upper midwest but nothing serious as of yet. Byt the end of this week, if my studies are correct we will be out of the Lull and the bucks will really begin moving. Rain has kept me out of the stand yesterday and maybe today, unless it lets up. Id be leary abotu using any estrous scents as of right now as the does are nowhere near ready to stand yet. I would be using curriosity scents and hunt the food sourcesyet. In about 2 weeks thats when I would start usingsomeestrus. Maybe some buck urine. Good luck and hope you get that buck.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

I'm in central Missouri and I agree with wis-bow-huntr on this one. Maybe a curiosity scent would be okay but personally I'd hold off on estrous scents for around 2 weeks before they will start to prove really effective!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:32 AM

I agree with above ... you spook him and it's all over but the crying ... Remeber Doe's bring on the rut so she maybe a little early ..just as you have the late breeding doe ..so curiosity will be my choise ...
Old 10-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

i personaly would not use the scent, mabey in 1-2 weeks
Old 10-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would wait until you see him and then pour some estrous piss right out on the ground in front of you. If the other does are not in heat they'll probably stay away from it, mainly because they don't want to get it on them and then get raped! But that buck sounds like he would come right over for a smell. Tie a small white rag to a fishing string and make it move if he won't come in, but put it in some cover, or if you have a decoy, that would be even better.
I'm guessing that he'd love for one of those nice ladies he's chasing to smell like that piss you'll bring in there for him!
I got a nice eight pointer on opening day last year with estrous piss. Easiest deer I ever killed. And I'm pretty sure that it was in the first week of October.