Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunt recommendations

Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Elk Hunt recommendations

I am looking to organize an Elk hunt with some family members for 2008. I figure I will need to apply in 2007 to get what we want for 2008 right? What state should I be looking into for the time of early November? October really is not going to work real well. I'm looking at a rifle hunt, maybe combo Elk/deer. I have hunted Montana and Colorado before, but it has been years. My last trip was 1999 to Lima, MT area. I would like to be able to get a cow tag or two for some of the people going. If we have a group of 8, is that too many to get "all or none" tags? I have relatives in Arizona (Scottsdale), so that could be a consideration?? I know I should have started organizing this months ago, but here I am. I guess I'mm looking for help. I've been lurking on this site for a while, i used to be on it more before the kids (4 and 1 1/2 YO). We are not looking for a guided hunt. We are not against using horses as my dad has gone on a number of hunts to CO and used horses. Terrain can be fairly rough and altitude we have been in were in the 9000-10000 range. If an archery season were a better chance to see elk, we would not be against that, but it would have to be in September rather than October. I just don't know the availabilty to be away from work in October. Please help!!!
Thanks
Dan
Old 01-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunt recommendations

Josh the hunter, Justasked almost the same question. I answered his post the best I could.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunt recommendations

States vary by species and if you resident or non-resident. Wyoming non-resident Elk deadline app for non-residents for fall 2007 is 1/31/07. MT Deer/Elk combo license for non-residents is 3/15/07 for this fall.
I don't know how you hunt, but the experience I've had though I know there are many here who have much more experience than I hunting Elk, keep your hunting group to 3-4 people, unless you're going completely different directions. I like 2-3 guysI know and trustin a general 1-2 sq. mile area no more. Elk are too easily spooked to have more without one of the look outs seeing some movement or picking up one your buddies smell.
It definitely helps to have at least one person in your group, whether guide or fellow hunter with personal experience and success hunting in the area you apply for. We've done it going in cold to a new area and worked our butts off making contacts with those you can before and after you get in the area. Show humility to the locals and respect and ask honest questions realizing you're the visitor and this is their home. Have your wives say a prayer for you before you leaveand you'd be surprised how doors and opportunities can and often times will open up for you.
I witnessed this again this year. Amazing grace.