Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 looking for elk hunt recommendations >

looking for elk hunt recommendations

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

looking for elk hunt recommendations

Old 01-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Spike

Default looking for elk hunt recommendations

Looking for a reasonably priced elk hunt with good quality. Prefer bow or muzzleloader. Can be guided or drop camp.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:19 AM

Default RE: looking for elk hunt recommendations

Your first decision probably needs to be money. How much are you willing to spend? Every year I go to CO and NM. CO is "on your own" and NM is guided. CO costs a LOT LESS than NM. Once you determine the amount you are willing to spend, you can start your search. I have read of many drop camps costing from 800 to 1500, but I have never done one. Guided costs can be from 3K to 20K (I do one every year), depending on where you hunt and how big an elk you want. Give us some more specifics as to what you are wanting and expecting.
Good Hunting,
Hal
Old 01-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend that is a third generation outfitter. There guided hunts are around $3,600 to $4,000. They tell clients to doubling the price of the guided hunt which is $7,200 to $8,000. They are getting this information directly from there hunters. Some hunters need to buy more gear than others. They tell me better than 50% of there hunters show up with a new rifle.
Here is a list.
Montana outfitter sponsor License & tag $1,000
Rifle, scope & ammo $1,200
Airline Approved gun travel case $200
New boots $150
Wool pants $50.
Bino's $300
Airfair $400
Meat processing & shipping $300
Taxidermist $500
Tips for guide & cooks $500

My very rough estimate total comes to $8,200. I pulled this estimate off the top of my head. There are several items on the list that you might already have and do not need? But this will give you a rough estimate.
Most hunters do not need a new rifle & scope. The taxidermist is optional on the hunters part also.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Vance, just go out solo, hardest part though is getting drawn. With all the national forest, state and BLM land, you should take advantage of it. I personally wouldn't hire a guide.
Geez Wolfkiller, thats a pretty pricey piece of meat that elk is, $8000 for an elk, lets say you get 300#'s ( thats being very generious) of meat out of it, that works out to be about $27.00 a pound, and thats not counting loss of wages at work, wow!!! I thought I lost money this year when I had to drive 6hrs to bag my elk this year but now I guess I didn't do too bad after all. Bobby
Old 01-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Vance,
Not inclusive of the gear...lets assume you have what you need. Most trips will be about $3800 for the hunt (License & Guide)...add your airfare, a hotel night each way..you usually have to get there the night before, again depending on where you are going...add some $$ for misc food. 2 last items Tip for the guide and taxidermist. I figure 5K every year. I do not take the meat back with me. I send it to Hunters for the Hungry, most states have this or something like it set up. Of course you can hunt in "special" area's where hunts will run 8K...not my cup of tea
I going to get a lot of crap from this BUT i think the price of hunts are not worth it! Why do I do it...It's just being with good friends...not a big issue for me to get a trophy..if my best friend gets one I'm just as happy. If you are planning on going on any trip and you MUST in your mind bag something Don't GO...you will not enjoy it.
Quick story > Alberta 1993 > 8 hunters in camp for whitetails - 2 groups of 4 that do not know each other...One gentleman from the other group wants everyone to put 100 in a pot and the biggest buck takes all - Mr Big> Joe Hunter talking up a storm....OK everyone is in.
Mr Big shoots a 8 pointer 1st day --135 B&C +- I was seeing good bucks everyday but no B&C (170) so I don't shoot...Wednesday everyone has got there buck but me..every night Mr Big questions my "truth" about what I have claimed to let go by me..You see Vance my best friend had already shot a big 10 (the biggest yet)and I felt I won the cash too! He was so wrapped up in getting the biggest & the best there is no way he could have enjoyed himself.
PS: I shot a 12 point 162 B&C on thursday late in the afternoon ...it was like the icing on the cake... I shot that buck for me & my friends..memories are what make hunts!
Old 01-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Howdy, Vance
There are MANY!! options at your disposal for an Elk hunt here in Colorado. Depending on what you want,what you expect and what you want to pay. Colorado is an excellent do it yourself state! But my question for you is..........How much planning have you done? There are many good places to hunt but they may require "Preference Points" to draw a tag. Especially for the muzzleloader bull tag. Cow tags are easier to come by but I would not pay an outfitter to hunt cows. You could go with an outfitter in an area that does not require points but that's a lot of $ for an iffy situation.
Drop camps are a good option but you should still consider the points and how much you know about Elk hunting.
It may be worth your while to do some research and go on a do it yourself cow tag hunt ($250.00) learn what it takes and apply for preference points at the same time.Then in a couple of years spend the money with a reputable outfitter in a quality unit and take home a nice bull!!!!!!
I live here so it's not such trying situation!!!!!!!!!
I have plenty of research links and info. if you would like to e-mail me

Kind of jumbled but hope it helps
Old 01-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Spike

I have been to Colorado 3 times bowhunting and killked two elk on drop camps. I currently have 8 preferece points for elkand three for deer. I am saving points for area 2 or 201. I will be looking for an outfitter in that area but I think I need 10 or 12 pts. In the meantime I'm looking for a non draw unit in colorado or a another state that has good quality at resonable price. Bow or muzzleloader.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:08 AM

Vance-

I hunted 201 this past fall for the early rifle hunt. Outstanding area. I know a guide that operates in that area, as well as areas 12, 13, 211, 2. 3. 301, 4, and 441. He is a good guy, honest and probably would be willing to work with you on any type of hunt you are looking for. Email me if you're interested.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:12 AM

Vance-

I can be reached at: [email protected]

BTW, I live in Grand Ledge, MI.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:33 PM

I am not against the use of outfitters if you want that certain experience. Hiring an outfitter is not necessary as there are plenty of places you can hunt on your own as long as your capable of getting around and packing out the meat if you get one. I've been able to harvest a number of bulls on my own including a 7x8 in Az. My favorite location is in Wyoming though as there are plenty of elk there, easy to draw and it's awesome country. Just need to watch the grizzlies if your in their country. Az. and N.M. has some of the easiest country to get around in and the biggest bulls on average. Just hard to draw a tag. I've also been lucky in Idaho up near Elk City. It really depends on what kind of hunt your looking for and what your up too. Give more details and I'll be willing to give you more suggestions. Watch plenty of elk hunting videos and learn to use the elk calls.

Just a hunter that has been helped by others in the past. I also work in the Forest Service and I'm use to giving help.

Quick Reply: looking for elk hunt recommendations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.