Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Sombrero drop camp CO

Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Sombrero drop camp CO

Anyone ever do a drop camp with these guys? www.sombrero.com.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sombrero drop camp CO

Yes I went on one of their drop camps last year. 2nd season. Unfortunately the weather was very warm and full moon. The bulls where deep in the dark timber. We did not see a bull.

There are several drop camps on Pyramid Peak. We were at the Flower Pot camp. We saw plenty of elk sign. You just could not take a step without stepping in elk droppings.

The week before they had a lot of snow then warmed up and most of the snow was gone. So were the bulls.Our camp was right in the hunting area. I don't recommend camping where you hunt. Youmake too much noise and cooking smells I think will force the elk out of the area.

As far as Sombrero is concerned, I did not have a problem. Their horses are not nags. They are lively but good, dependable. You should have some riding experience.

They also have a guided horse-back hunt where you stay in their bunk house and ride out each morning.That looked good to me. I would say that I could recommend them. You have to realize that this is not a resort type hunt. Its for real hunters. No frills.

If you go on the drop camp be sure to take some water purification. We took AquaMira two part drops and it worked very good.

They are real cowboys.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

We would be archery hunting somewhere around the third week in september. For the price it looks tough to beat. Did they supply the feed for the horses? The shrivers camp looks good, like the idea of being able to head right into the wilderness.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did some checking on these guys a while back, and from what I understand, you provide the feed AND must care for the horses.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Monie and Elk, did you guys check into references at all?

Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Typical Buck

I've rented horses from them twice. Both times the horses worked fineand we only used them for packing in gear, etc. The first time though I was leading a horse that was didn't want to cross a small trickle of water coming off a hillside. I had to grab him by the halter and pull him across. They can be stubborn but I hadn't handled horses much so it was a learning experience and probably had more to do with my inexperience than anything. We found out thathorses can be unpredictable but just be ready for anything. I found that sudden movements are not good around horses and if you can avoid that it sure seemed to help. Overall, Sombero staff were very helpful and showed up when they said they would. I'd rent from them again...
Old 09-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

If you rent horses from Sombrero then you are required to feed them. They have a contract that says how much you need to feed. Also it has to be certified weed free if you go on public areas.

On drop camps, you do not keep the horses in camp. They take you up to your camp, drop you off, unload the pack horses and help you get settled in. Then they take the horses back with them. If you get an elk then it will cost you $250 to get it down the mountain.

On the horse-back guided hunt, you will be on horses all day but will come back down the mountain to the bunk house each evening.

I think the best camp is the high one on the south-west side of Pyramid Peak. Its about 10,500 ft. We were supposed to go there but got switched at the last minute. At the Flower Pot camp, most of the hunting is in dark timber. Good trails in it. Lots of elk sign. Mightbe good archery.On any of those camps you will have to be quiet and not talk loud orcreate a lot of noise because the elk are right there next to you.

The first day we were in camp we heard a group of elk come thru on a trail behind our camp. It was only 50 yards from our tent. But that was the last time we heard them.

If you go on any of theirhunts you should get some riding in before you go. As other posts said, they will help you a lot. Good outfit.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buckshot,

No. I didn't check their references. When I first checked out the site, I was wanting pack horses. Then I discovered that the renter buys the grain and hay and has to pack that in. Then there's the certified weed free stuff you have to get. Then you have to feed the horses a certain way and take care of them should something happen. Whew!

Personally,I want this hunt as simple as possible. If that means going without horses so there is less worry, so be it. I'll be worried enough just trying to take care of myself and bag an elk.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

"On drop camps, you do not keep the horses in camp. They take you up to your camp, drop you off, unload the pack horses and help you get settled in. Then they take the horses back with them"

Huh, on their web site they sure make it soundlike they leave the horses with you . OH well, you know what they say, if it sounds to good to be true than it probably is.