Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 First timer - should I do a drop camp for elk? >

First timer - should I do a drop camp for elk?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First timer - should I do a drop camp for elk?

Old 05-09-2005, 08:44 AM

Default First timer - should I do a drop camp for elk?

I have an opportunity to go on a 6 day elk bowhunt in early September with an outfitter that has a drop camp in White River National Forest, Game Unit No. 44. Total cost including license, airfare and outfitter fees is $1500. Neither myself or any of five other guys going (two of whom are my uncles) have any experience in elk hunting. We've all bowhunted whitetails for years, but have never ventured west for bigger game. I'd like to hear some opinions on doing this type of hunt (drop camp, unguided, bowhunt) as a newbie. Should I save up and seek out a guided elk hunt? What is the chance a beginner can call an elk into bowrange? Also, I'll be the youngest hunter in the camp at 38 and I consider myself to be in very good condition. Should I consider hunting solo or risk being slowed down by the older (late 50's) hunters? Camp will be at 9,000 feet.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:21 AM
Spike

Default RE: First timer - should I do a drop camp for elk?

YOU HAD BETTER GO. THE REWARDS OF HUNTING ELK W/BOW IS SOOO GRATIFING, YA'ALL WILL HAVE A SMILE 24/7. AS FAR AS HUNT'N WITH FAMILY, THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. I'M 62 AND I WOULD TAKE IT EASY FOR A DAY OR TWO AT 9000'. JUST TAKE A HOCHIE MAMA CALL FROM PRIMOS AND PICK A SPOT. HAVE FUN. BY THE WAY, HOW MUCH DOES THE OUTFITTER CHARGE FOR THE DROP CAMP AND WHAT'S HIS NAME, I'M PACKING RIGHT NOW.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Wvboy,

Thats a tough one. Drop camps are a cool invention. Its a good way to hunt. They do have some disadvantages though. 1. an Outfitter is going to keep the best areas for his fully guided hunts. He puts the drop camps in less productive areas. 2. You have to do all your own navigating. thats not a problem for some, but for others its like playing russian roulette. 3. Outfitters rarely leave horse at their drop camps. That means everything is on you. You have to walk in and out. If you tag something its generally you're responsibilty to get it back to camp. That means in a backpack.

So you need to ask yourself some questions. Answer them as honestly as you can. 1. Can I navigate well enough to save my life? The mountain is unforgiving. It can sneek up on you. 2. How important is the actual killing? If a week in the mountains is worth $1500 then do it. You have to look at killing an elk as a bonus. Don't expect it, just be thankful if it happens. 3. Do I have the skills to skin, quarter, and backpack out an animal if I get lucky?If the answer is no to any of these questions then you have your answer.

Calling isn't that difficult really. Get some tapes and practice a lot. Don't fall in love with a bugle. Though a bugle is an excellent locator call, cow calls are more productive for lureing him in to range.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:33 AM

wvboy, first if u go have fun! i would ask how many people are going to be in this drop camp? just your group or he going to have drop camps right over the ridge from u? elk is alot of work, is he going to have any horses for u to pack an elk out? elk are alot bigger than a deer, u just don't drag a elk out of the woods. if u deside to go , i would get as many elk videos as i could watch them a dozen times! and i woould be on this site getting as much info as i can!have fun!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. There are tons of questions you need to ask first. The most important in my book would be packing out the elk. Who would get it back to drop camp? etc... I would also like to know the success rate in the area. How did this drop camp make out last year? During the rut bulls are very responsive to calls and can be a blast to call in. If you get some advice from the outfitter he may be able to point you in the right direction and give you some tips to make your hunt more successful. I know if it was me I wouldn't turn it down. I can't imagine anything else I'd rather be doing for a week than hunting a drop camp with friends and family.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

http://wildlife.state.co.us/
http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/gmumaps.asp
Here are web address for Colorado Division of wildlife, use them! Are you motivated? Can you run your own show? If yes, go for it. Elk hunting is work because you have to go find them. But they will talk to you in Sept. And yes a rookie can call them in. And use a bugle, not just cow calls. There is a place to go that will help you with calling, Elknut.com, Paul will set you up. But you have some serious home work to do before you get here. There are some very good biology books on elk. They are more important than the hunting stories to read. You need to understand what makes them tick. So you know what you are looking for. 2 questions; #1 What is an elks primary food source? #2 Which can an elk take more of heat or cold? Start thinking like one and you will do fine.
I was a self starter in elk hunting, kill my first elk my second year. And I had never hunted before, so yes you have a chance of making it work. And CO in Sept. is wonderful.
Gselkhunter
Old 05-09-2005, 11:17 AM

The outfitter will pack hunters and their supplies in on horses. Also, they check in every other day and will assist in packing out an elk. As for killing an elk? Yeah, that would be completely bonus for me. I'd try to approach an elk hunt like I do my whitetail hunts... the actual harvest is a very small part of why I bowhunt. I would sure love to see one though!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

WV,
A drop camp can be very rewarding,but also demanding.
You are going to have to be able to camp there for as many days,cook,hunt,hike,navigate in the woods for 6 days.You will alos have to be able to gut and 1/4 a elk,hang them till the outfitter can come pick them up.If not you stand a good chance of one spoiling.The hardest part of the hunt is finding elk,the rest is like a good old fashiond camping trip.You will need a good pack,get used to making calls with a diaphram call,lot more handy than trying to call a bull close and trying to draw your bow.
Is the outfitter suppling the grub,and what nots,will you be prepared for what mother nature can throw at you.
If you decide to do it,I'm shure you will have a great time.
BBJ
Old 05-09-2005, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: wvboy

The outfitter will pack hunters and their supplies in on horses. Also, they check in every other day and will assist in packing out an elk. As for killing an elk? Yeah, that would be completely bonus for me. I'd try to approach an elk hunt like I do my whitetail hunts... the actual harvest is a very small part of why I bowhunt. I would sure love to see one though!
I'd say do a little more research on the outfitter. If everything is to your liking then go for it. Be warned though, If you do get a bull working your call you will be hooked for life. You will want to go every september. It is extremely addictive.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:15 PM

If you still hunt for whitetails you should do fine w/ elk, if you hunt from stands, well.... that wont help you much. You should be fine where hunting is concerned. I would however be SURE that the guide will pack the animal for you, no if ands or buts. someone else said that a guide would give you the less productive areas to hunt, that may be true and is definately an interesting issue to say the least. Maybe you could find a guide that ONLY does drop camps.

Quick Reply: First timer - should I do a drop camp for elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.