HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sombrero drop camp CO
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Elk2901
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sombrero drop camp CO

Yes I went on one of their drop camps last year. 2nd season. Unfortunately the weather was very warm and full moon. The bulls where deep in the dark timber. We did not see a bull.

There are several drop camps on Pyramid Peak. We were at the Flower Pot camp. We saw plenty of elk sign. You just could not take a step without stepping in elk droppings.

The week before they had a lot of snow then warmed up and most of the snow was gone. So were the bulls.Our camp was right in the hunting area. I don't recommend camping where you hunt. Youmake too much noise and cooking smells I think will force the elk out of the area.

As far as Sombrero is concerned, I did not have a problem. Their horses are not nags. They are lively but good, dependable. You should have some riding experience.

They also have a guided horse-back hunt where you stay in their bunk house and ride out each morning.That looked good to me. I would say that I could recommend them. You have to realize that this is not a resort type hunt. Its for real hunters. No frills.

If you go on the drop camp be sure to take some water purification. We took AquaMira two part drops and it worked very good.

They are real cowboys.