Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Calling all DIY' ers,  got a ??? >

Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

Old 09-06-2006, 08:09 AM

Default RE: Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

I wouldn't know that but I know my friend would bring his mules from portland or. to the the top of the bitterroots with no proplems.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh you probaly could if you realy rode them hard and they were out of shape.Heck you could kill Montana horse if you are riding them hard and they are out of shape,seen that happen about 8 years ago.The problem when that happens is you have to pack your horse out cause of the bears,plus you lost a horse.Some guys afew years ago abandond a dead horse in the Bob and Forest Service blew it up with explosives and the bears were eating horse all over the place.Bad deal cause then the bears get the taste for horse flesh.
Heck by the time you get here the horses should be fine,if your worried alow a day to ride them for a few hours and get them used to the alltitude.
BBJ
Old 09-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Generally, I agree with your assessment of wilderness areas, although there are certainly exceptions. (The Gila Wilderness in NM, maybe the High Uintahs in UT are awesome.)

I like wilderness for the ability to get away from other hunters. In bowhunting and calling elk especially, I'll take 1/2 the number of elk to avoid tripping over other hunters. I hate hearing a bugle and having to assess whether it's really an elk or just another nimrod.