Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Calling cow elk!

Old 09-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Calling cow elk!

I am looking for a call that would call in some lost elk or maybe a calf. What would be my best choice? I heard there was a lost calk call but I cannot find one. Also I have not learned how to blow a diaphragm reed, so it would have to something simple for me. I just want something that may bring the cow out the trees or bring them a little slower or slow then down when they are walking. I will also be carring a bull tag..so it may help me there too!!
Old 09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Calling cow elk!

My favorite blow reed cow call is the Primo's Lead Cow/Calf call. It is a bite type call pretty easy to use and has decent range. Another to consider would be the Hootchie Mama Push call, limited in sounds but seems to work pretty good on singles or cow/calf pairs. The bonus is extremely easy to use.....just push! I use both these calls as well as mouth calls when making herd talk and have done pretty well.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:56 PM

goose-the hoochie mama is great. so are the other primos diaphragm calls. Their video, mastering the art is a great way to learn, youll be able to use either (hoochie mama or diaphragm)by the time the video is over. The hoochie mama has different settings for lost cow, calf, estrus cow. its really easy to use, estrus cow brings bulls(souinds like a cow ready to breed), the other two bring cows.... although there are no RULES for elk.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help guys!