Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Calling vs Not Calling? >

Calling vs Not Calling?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling vs Not Calling?

Old 06-26-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Calling vs Not Calling?

Hi, Guys I had a question about calling deer....as a new bowhunter, last year being my first, I read alot about rattling and using cans and grunts, I was wondering how many of you do it, and is it effective? I live in the Northeast, and there is not a "ton" of deer...some, but not sure what the buck to doe ratio is....the way I see it is, if there is not alot of bucks to begin with, how would rattling work? Am I on to something or am I missing the boat? I have hunted for deer with a gun for a while, but I am still looking for my first...my Dad, who has taught me all I know, is a good hunter who has killed alot of deer, but he too is new to bowhunting....any info would be appreciated. Thank You, Jay
Old 06-26-2006, 06:17 PM

Default RE: Calling vs Not Calling?

I will probably P-O a few people with this answerBut thats Ok. I have rattled and grunted a few deer in... But, the timing has to be almost perfect, and I feel you probably spook more deer than you call, especially if you not real good at it.
Ain't nothing beats good ol hard work, and hard scouting to kill big whitetails.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:25 PM

I don't rattle either. I just bleat and grunt.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

I dont think doe bleats or rattling work to well in my state[ WI] now if you
live in Texas you can hit two sticks together and the bucks come running.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well not so in my part of Tx. The buck to doe ratio on the land I hunt is rediculous. i have yet to see a buck come in to a rattle and have seen very limited success with calls. My brother in law has hunted this same land for over 20 years and he has had no luck rattling either. we will stick with scouting and stand/blind placement.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can attest that calling (grunts and bleats) work fanatastically in PA. Rattling on the other hand, not so much, yes at times but I agree to the statement that you will spook more deer than rattle in.

I will say however that I don't sit in my stand and randomly call all day. A few grunts or bleats now and again but very seldom. I usually call only when I see a deer and can watch it's reaction. I've personally never seen a negative reaction to grunting and bleating. There is usually a positive response or no response what so ever.

But when it does work, it's like bringing them in on a fishing line.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

I have spent hundreds of days in stands over the years and I think stand placement and knowing your woods is more important than anything. I have rattled numerous bucks in though over the years and I have grunted them in too.I feel rattling is way more productive from my experience than grunting. Last year the 1st week in Nov I was in a stand and at noon it started raining; I decided to sit there and tough it out. I rattled a nice deer in the 150 class right up to the base of my tree. I didn't even know he was there till he was under neath me.I could have jumped on him.On Thanksgiving AM I always hunt and I have rattled several bucks up in the same AM doing this. It is all in timing. I have also found that REAL antlers work for rattling and the bag of dowel rods don't. Hunting funnels though is probably the best way to pick up bucks looking for does.
HCH[/align]
Old 06-26-2006, 07:27 PM

I would have to agree that rattling is much more productive than bleats around here.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had luck with bleating but not many rattle around here because there are way more does than bucks so they don't feel the competition
Old 06-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I rely on stand placement, the wind and patiences first and foremost. I have rattled and grunted without success most of the time. I don't do it just to do it. It has worked a couple times bringing back deer that had passed me by or were out of range. If it works it works, I think most of the time it's spotty at best. Most deer that people say came to the call were or would have probably passed within range anyway if given time. Time of year is a biggie. I think the grunt and light tickling works best before the peak rut.

Quick Reply: Calling vs Not Calling?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.