Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Calling all DIY' ers,  got a ??? >

Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

Old 08-29-2006, 09:52 AM

Default Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

Hey folks I need some help/advice. I love the mountains. I've been lucky enough to go on three elk hunts in my life. Each time was with a guide. Once in montana, and twice in British Columbia. I had great time at each and have nothing but good things to say about my experiences. Here's the deal though. I can't afford to go as often as I want. So I'm comtemplating DIY hunts.

I have no worries at all about my wood skills. I was raised on a farm and in the woods. I know I got the chops so to speak. I'm excellent with horses so I think I can pull it off. So I guess what I'm getting at is what equipment do I need to pack in to the back country that I love. Don't leave anything out. I know quite a bit but there might be some stuff I'm overlooking. So let me have your ideas.

Next I guess I would like to ask where? I love montana and wyoming but I think you have to use a guide to hunt the wilderness areas. There must be a state that I can go to do what I'm considering. any help would be greatly appreciated.

OBTW I love to elk hunt but its not a must. Just being in the mountains is what I'm after. Elk,Deer, Moose, anything to get me there.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

I don't hunt with horses so I am clueless about that, but I hunt wilderness and national forest land. You don't need a guide to hunt either one. If you have horses, they are great for packing in a camp and getting meat out of the woods. Just go man. I think hunting out of camper is the best way to go. You come back to the camper each night, warm-up, dry off, cook a good meal, then get after it the next day. If you have a camper parked at a locked gate or trailhead, most guys will stay out of that basin, knowing that is where you are.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:11 AM

Do you have any points built up in any states? Whats your shooting iron?(gun bow muzz.) Colorado lets you into the Wilderness. Bulls aren't the biggest though. My friends havn't drawn Wo for 3 years now.(elk)????
Like MT said just pick one & get out there!
Good luck J
Old 08-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shato,
If you wanna go every year Colorado OCT are the way to go,Montana a WY are draw and due to points can take some time.
You don't need a guide only when you get a outfitter sponserd licence.You can apply for a Big game combo and get a Deer A and a Elk (depending on what area is whats leagle).

Since you mentioned a Wilderness hunt,you must be talking about horse and mules.The way I figure it for a weeks hunt for 2 guys is about 6 horses(2 to ride and 4 to pack).
Your going to need Pack saddles and riggings,panierrs,rope,lead ropes and halters.Now the ones you ride are going to need briddles,halters,lead ropes & saddles.
You are going to need hobbles or run a picket line or portable corrall.Plus pack food for the animals like pellets or hay.
You need a tent,frame,stove,saw,tarps,rope stakes,stakes,ax,hammer,nails,duct tape, cooking & eating utensils and food.
That should get you started then pack all your normal gear like clothes,hunting supplies,hunting gear and survival gear like first aid and locator becon and flares.
It take alot of cash to get started but if you doit over a couple years and have a buddy to help split the costs it's not so bad.
OR
You can do the camper hunt,I have done this also.Pick a area and set-up a camp just out side of the area you wan't to hunt and go every morrning.This offers alot of mobility and plus takes away from the added cost of horses,or you can doit with horses also.I have put a pick-up camper in the bed and pulled the horse trailer behind and hunted that way.
It's up to you and what you need,a good one to talk to is EKM as he has it down to a science.
BBJ
Old 08-29-2006, 11:35 AM

BBJ,,

We (myself & father) own 5 horses so I/we would have to make do with that many. I got all the riding tack I would need including rifle scabbards. I don't own a pack saddle or panniers though. I've helped my guides tie a pack sadle on each of my hunts. Though the diamond hitch would take some practice to remember.... Maybe a wilderness hunt would be a little much for the first trip or two. I just like to get back where I wouldn't have to worry about running into other folks... Like I said a elk tag isn't a must, a good Mule deer hunt would be just as enjoyable to me.

I like the ideaof a wilderness hunt but a camper hunt would be nice. Can you get away from the crowds in areas where you can pull a camper? My dad owns a 24' fifth wheel but I don't know how far in you could pull a camper that size.

Like I said any input is greatly appreciated. This year is certainly out but maybe next year. I don't have any points, as I said my previous trips have been through a guide.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Take a look at www.sombrero.com. Located new Craig and Meeker, CO. They have good horses.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

The only place in this state that I would say there are crowds is over in the breaks during archery season. In the west side of MT if you walk in about 1 mile, you will lose most people, just the way it is. I rarely run into another hunter.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well heck Shato you got 1/2 the battle won.
5 is good now all you need is 3 pack saddles and panniers,or you could tie your own packs(I like panniers).Get your self a good 10x12 wall tent,some cots,a good stove and you are about set.

You can get away from the crowds,but it depends what time of year and where you go.I can go to the Belts for instance and pitch a tent in the middle of November and not see anyone Tues.- Thurs,but when Friday,sat,and Sun roll around it's campers and atvs all day long.But thats be side the point all they do is drive the roads and as far as some trails go.I get out and few hours walk and I don't see a soul.It all depends on where you go and what time of year,like Thanksgiving.It's the last week and EVERYONE is out and about.I try to be done by this week,cause I have family that wants to hunt then and it is hard to concentrate on your own tags when others wanna go over there or here or what ever.
There are some good areas around(camp and ride in or back-country)the Bob,Scapegoat,Cabinets and Absorkas that offer some camping and hunting from,but you have to do some scouting to get good spots.I like to go in the middle of the week and set my stuff up and hunt.
If you ever get over this way,I could show ya some spots around the Belts,not as pristine as the back country but as enjoyable.
BBJ
Old 08-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Go get yourself a map of the Bob Marshall Wilderness. It would take a lifetime to hunt and explore all that. If you want to get away and lose yourself--- there ya go!!!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Input from another montanan...

I hunt with horses every year...i do two different kinds

Archery- We pack in (usually take two trips 3-4 horses...) and hunt from a base camp that consists of 12x12 wall tent, cots, and bags good enough to -40....cots make a WORLD of difference...We pack with softside Sadlle panniers (they fit over traditional saddle) and we carry traditional saddle panniers that fit behind saddle (like cantly bag, and saddle bags...(personal opinion, Trail Max makes the best system in world!!!) We usually come out once or twice during two week hunt, either to take out meat or to pack in more food...

Gun Hunt- we do a mixed hunt, it is a hunt from our horse trailer and off road (eight miles on dirt road) we sleep in horse trailer (goosneck living quarters) with propane heat etc. VERY cozy...and then we ride horses from camp every day...this is a VERY nice way to hunt....we still set up wall tent and stove etc. etc. but this is luxury (for hunting)

Quick Reply: Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.