Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Calling all DIY' ers,  got a ??? >

Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

Old 08-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

If you do not already have much of the elk camp gear, another option may be to have an outfitter provide you with a "drop camp." The outfitter sets up the camp, rides you in, checks up on you to pack out meat periodically, but you are on your own to do your own hunting and cooking. Less expensive than a fully guided/outfitted hunt.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

MTdream,

You're in Kalispell. All ready to go? Do you hunt in or around the valley or do you head off to other parts of the state.

My buddy hauled camp in yesterday with his horses. I loaded my pack last night, already losing sleep thinking about Saturday.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

yeppers, am here in Kalispell...I hunt down south of Bozeman (it is where I am from)...

wenthome for lunch, shot a few groups in the wind...good practice, and Fall is CLEALRY in the air!!!

Yes, I am sleeping rarely!!!! Plenty o time to sleep in camp!!

Keep hearing words about nice antler size due to weather in Spring etc. etc.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

MT,
It's not only the elk,but MAN!!! do I have a couple of hog mulies around the house.I was watching one last weekend or so that when he was scrachinghis back flanks he was doing it with his FRONT FORKS!!! I'm geussing a strong 180's buck and the one with him was no slouch either 160's.
I leave Friday and I can't wait,no sleep can't work it's kill'in me.
BBJ
Old 08-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

One small point, you do NOT need an outfitter to hunt MT wilderness asa non-resident. That very silly rule only goes in WY.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

that is AWESOME to hear!!!! the area I hunt south of Bozeman has some incredible muleys too...friend of mine had the number 3 in the state P&Y for a while and the one we saw last year made it look like a dwarf...it was SOLID 180+ really nice deep forks, and REALLY nice width on him...So I canot wait to see if he is hanging out and what he looks like this year...we have routinely seen him, but I am not a big muley hunter prefer elk and elk alone, but we have a ranch with river bottom so I hunt the whiteyes there)

look forward to hearing about your hunt...I too leave Friday for some hunting on the ranch, then next friday pack into elk camp!!! sat up till 12:20 last night watching Primos Big BUlls 9 last night talk about not being able to sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MTdream
Old 08-31-2006, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, lots of talk about Wilderness...I am sure I will step on toes...and I dont mean to, just trying to share advice to the orginial thread writer..

I grew up in Montana, hunted HEAVILY in archery, not so much gun, but a week or so in Gun season...killed enough elk and deer..I share that not as bragging but to set the stage...

I have not personally, been blessed to get into loads of elk in our wilderness areas...I have found those areas to also not produce the massive tophy class that people seek...So for me personally, and the crews I have hunted with, we have rarely hunted wilderness areas (over the years) this was mainly due to game density, and not due to terrain or difficulty in hunting...I have horses, and pack horses etc.

All that being said...It ALL depends upon what type of hunt you want...want a wilderness experience? no roads, less people, and pristine streamns and lakes? I woudl HIGHLY suggest our wilderness areas...The experience of the packing and riding is nearly unmatchable!!!

However, if you want really good caliber location, and more critters, and better chances for MONSTER bulls...I would suggest hunting in the areas with close proximity to Yellowstone Park...i.e. Gallatin Drainage (South of Bozeman), Ennis Drainage (South of Ennis, both east and west side), or Paradise Valley (livingston, south)...All these are remendous areas,and afford you the ability to get back away from it all, and get into some incredible elk during archery season...However, all these areas have Grizzly in them too, so you need to be careful!!!

Just some suggestions...and personally, I use Google earth and terraserver to initially scout areas, adn then go play in them in the summer to look them over...but I have my honey hole I goto every year, and has not failed me but I always look for new areas, or see how they are shifting patterns...I keep meticulous records on where I see elk, what sex elk, and time of year I see them etc.

It is all a process...but I will remind you that the age old adage is true...20% of the hunters get 80% of the elk....it is always the most prepared and the people putting in the most effort...Elk are TOUGH!!!! and SMART!!!! and they will make you look like a FOOL!!!

one other hint I would give in some of these heavily hunted areas...and BBJ alluded to it...Some of the BEST critters are located between the heavily hunted areas, and the back of the bus areas...i.e. they hide in that zone between where the guys hunt from the roads, and where the guys on horse pack in....so there is a REALLY nice middle zone at roughly 1 mile in-4 miles in, that really never gets hunted...

Old 08-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Hey folks I need some help/advice. I love the mountains. I've been lucky enough to go on three elk hunts in my life. Each time was with a guide. Once in montana, and twice in British Columbia. I had great time at each and have nothing but good things to say about my experiences. Here's the deal though. I can't afford to go as often as I want. So I'm comtemplating DIY hunts.

I have no worries at all about my wood skills. I was raised on a farm and in the woods. I know I got the chops so to speak. I'm excellent with horses so I think I can pull it off. So I guess what I'm getting at is what equipment do I need to pack in to the back country that I love. Don't leave anything out. I know quite a bit but there might be some stuff I'm overlooking. So let me have your ideas.

Next I guess I would like to ask where? I love montana and wyoming but I think you have to use a guide to hunt the wilderness areas. There must be a state that I can go to do what I'm considering. any help would be greatly appreciated.

OBTW I love to elk hunt but its not a must. Just being in the mountains is what I'm after. Elk,Deer, Moose, anything to get me there.

Shato,

I also was reminded in another post about a book written by an outfitter that used to guide in the Bob Marshall Wilderness (several suggested hunting there)

I read it and enjoyed it, and think that it might help with some of the stuff you are seeking...it is on Amazon here is the link...the Book is titled the Phantom Ghost of Harriet Lou...

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Ghost-Harriet-Other-Stories/dp/0918981042/sr=8-4/qid=1157039216/ref=sr_1_4/103-6805188-2519842?ie=UTF8

Old 09-01-2006, 04:34 PM

Great advice guys .I say your young enought to start slow like a truck camp into the smaller hills like bare back said ,the little belts [they are not little]or the likes then slowly gather the thing to spike camp away from the truck camp for shot stays,then from there to a more confortable pack in camp .the horseswill slowly learn there jobs with you.God I love to explore.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:51 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys! One more question: I've been told that my horses won't be able to handle the altitude. I'm in Missouri at approx. 1000 ft. I would assume that it would take them a day or two to acclimate and then be fine but some folks have told me that I could kill a low land horse in the mountains. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Calling all DIY' ers, got a ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.