Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Need Advice for Elk Hunting >

Need Advice for Elk Hunting

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need Advice for Elk Hunting

Old 03-07-2006, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Need Advice for Elk Hunting

Gobbler,
If you're willing to pay around $6,000, PM me I've got a lead for you. I've hunted with this outfitter two years in a row. I've taken 300+ class 6X6 each year on public land/ fair chase (no fences). You have to be in tip top shape to hunt with him though because its all nearly vertical.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to add, keep in mind when you get the price from the outfitter, many times this does not include the license/tags you need! Not sure what they are everywhere, but in Idaho, where I went, its about $700 for the license, elk tag, deer tag.

Make sure to ask the outfitter what his price includes, other things that may not be covered:

- licenses
- meat transport home (they will usually bone/cape for you)
- butcher
- airport pickup
Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 PM

Excellent point Bob. ALOT of hunters who think they can hunt out west based on the advertised prices of hunts are grossly under-estimating the actual "cash out of pocket" or "final cost" of the hunt by the time the hunter returns home (especially if successfull!). I hunted in the Gila/Apache National Forest areas in NM with the greatest outfitter in the business (Mick Chapel of New Mexico Big Game Trophy Hunting Inc) and while his hunt was around $4000 that didn't really begin to cover it. That didn't cover the $400 state license. PLUS if you didn't draw he had to go purchase a landowner tag for you so that was another $2500 (which of course I did NOT draw so I had to send him another check, lucky bastard my brother drew!). We decided to pay an additional $1K each for "1 on 1" instead of the typical 2 hunters per guide.

Three of us went, by the time we split the rental car fee three way sfor a week(drove 3 hours from Albequerque too Quemado, NM on the NM/AZ border), paid each of our airfares, spending money (lol mostly beer money for me and my guide), tips, processing fees, taxidermy bill and shipping it home from the taxidermy shop in AZ... by the time I got the bull home on the wall that "$4K hunt" actually cost me $12K.

BUT I killed a 368" 6x6 that took top honors that week, my brother "only" killed a 280"er and his buddy didn't shoot one (that's ANOTHER subject, can you deal with paying $5K and coming home empty handed???) so I think my hunt was a BARGAIN for that size bull and the general experience of the hunt. That was in 1998, I plan on going back in another year or two but instead of the smokepole we are going back with "stick and strings"!!!

NA$TY addiction these big elk are I tell ya, it might be cheaper to take up crack use or start chasing wives other than your own!
RA
Old 03-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am sure the 150 grain bullet in the 06 would do the job but I wwould lean toward the 165 or better yet, the 180-190. The 308 performs like you wouldn't believe with the 190 grain BTSP.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:08 AM

You brought up some good points that I'm finding out.
The one I'm not sure of is HOW MUCH DO YOU TIP THE GUIDE?
I know a lot of it depends on how good he is and weather or not you score a nice bull. But is there something to use as a gage for tipping. The reason I ask is I am spending a lot of money on this hunt and I'm not all that weathly. Plus I have been accused of being kinda or cheap
(lets say frugal), you know sqeak when I walk.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tipping is something that gets argued about alot. I've been on two hunts and tipped and watched others tip out of curiousity. Seems that a "normal" tip in the two camps I've been at ran around 100-120/hunter, this was on a 3500 7 day archery elk hunt.

You will hear the 15% just like a waitress, this comparison is bogus. Couple of reasons its different: Waitress gets paid below minimum wage, yet HAS TO PAY TAXES on tips amounting to 15% of the bills she serves food for. So whether she gets 15% or not, she pays taxes on 15%. Give her less and she looses money, give her more and she gets "tax free" money (unless she is VERY honest).

Guide is typically paid per day or per hunt, and while they do not make alot of money, any tips they get are under the table.

I have tipped because I like showing my appreciation for the work they did for me and the friendship we made. The outfitter sat down with all the hunters to ask us our opinion on some stuff, so we asked him his opinion on tips, he said he doesn't think they are required since he pays the guides a good rate and they know that going in. All the hunters disagreed.

Ask the outfitter, but figure on probably tipping what you are comfortable tipping. Also remember there is a cook and possibly horse wrangelrs as well.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:10 PM

Tipping IS a dicey subject among hunters but not really that dicey or controversial among outfitters and guides. Of course what you pay is based on many things, mainly being where you are at (you WILL tip much much more on a White Mtn. Apache hunt than you will some chitkicker in CO)the cost of the hunt and your success. The other buddy of my brothers that went with us to NM has traveled the world and hunted everywhere. He suggested $100 a day tip too the guide (regardless of success), $10 a day for each camp cook of which there were 3. And tips too the outfitter/head guide were optional as he is the owner and gets his money from the hunt. Some hunters didn't tip and they were NOT invited back. We were heartily invited back by the owner/head guide. He saw us tipping everyone on the lastnight we were there.

My bull won the big bull pot in camp for those 5 days and I gave it all too my guide. I don't remember exactly but I know he got over $1K from me (including the pot) and he was VERY happy as were the other guides as they were high fiving him and slapping him on the back. However his brother is a legend in NM/AZ and has produced many 400"+ animals for his clients. He is called "the hunting god" and his tips are expected to be in the tens of thousands if a B&C bull hits the ground. Tips of $10K-$15K+ are his norm and he has mostly repeat, wealthy clients. I was shown his brand new Z-71 Ext Cab and told that it was lastyears "tip" from a repeat customer in Idaho who bought the truck, drove it too NM. When he killed a monster bull he jumped on an airplane and pitched the keys too his guide. Now that is a bit extreme I will admit. BUT it is not unheard of. MONSTER class examples of any big game species is typically highly sought of by very wealthy people. BTW the numbers we are talking about PALE in comparison too what many will pay when sheep hunting. We are talking in the 6 digits!!! [:-]

Lastyear my brother and I hunted mulies and lopes in WY. We shared a guide and had ALOT of fun with him. We each tipped him $50 a day on a 5 day hunt. He seemed happy and we were invited back. Again, other guides complained of none tipping hunters and they were not invited back. It's all about being nice and getting along with the guys who are there to help you and make sure you have a good time. THAT is what seperates the good operations from the "fly by nights" who give the legits a bad name. If you are fair with them they will typically do MORE than meet you halfway.

On fishing trips I have taken too TX (Lake Fork mainly) I have a very good friend who isa guide down there but I always still tip him well and enjoy preferential treatment. I can call right now and get a spot anytime between now and the end of May. This is THE prime time and that lake is usually FULL well in advance right now. You scratch their back and they will scratch yours.

Good luck,
RA

ps
I left the most controversial but REAL for last. You can bet your sweet arse that most of the largest animals/fish or at least the prime areas are KNOWN by most great guides/outfitters. You can likewise bet that those prime areas are held in reserve for their best customers. They know that a happy customer tips more and produces better business for the outfitters reputation. THAT is one reason to be a courtesy customer. It is in your best interest!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:28 PM

Man! a new truck! I've been in the wrong line of work all my life.

I had know idea there could be that much money involved on that end of the deal. I guess I better try to work a littleextra extra part time this summer. This stuff just might be a little out of my league.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:19 PM

You can put in for a hunt in Colorado. It is only about 500 dollars plus lodging. Plenty of public ground to hunt on. Get out a few days early and do your scouting.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

.06 is a great elk cartridge. I use 165 grain and am pleased with its performance. Not qualified to comment on the 150 grain. As stated above try some different rounds and see what flies out of your rifle best. Get in the best shape you possible can. People spend thousands of dollars on a hunt. Spring a few hundred more on a personal trainer if necessary for the summer and until you hunt. The better shape you are in, the more you will enjoy the hunt, and the more opportunity you will have to fill your tag. If you can, go out a couple of days early and camp out in the area to give your body a chance to acclimatize to the altitude. Its not always necessary, but altitude sickness can make a hunt misserable at best and can be deadly at worst. You will have more energy for the hunt if you give yourself a day or two to acclimatize. You'll still probably find yourself gasping for air after that soup you call air in the midwest!