HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need Advice for Elk Hunting
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 06:08 AM
Bob H in NH
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Advice for Elk Hunting

Tipping is something that gets argued about alot. I've been on two hunts and tipped and watched others tip out of curiousity. Seems that a "normal" tip in the two camps I've been at ran around 100-120/hunter, this was on a 3500 7 day archery elk hunt.

You will hear the 15% just like a waitress, this comparison is bogus. Couple of reasons its different: Waitress gets paid below minimum wage, yet HAS TO PAY TAXES on tips amounting to 15% of the bills she serves food for. So whether she gets 15% or not, she pays taxes on 15%. Give her less and she looses money, give her more and she gets "tax free" money (unless she is VERY honest).

Guide is typically paid per day or per hunt, and while they do not make alot of money, any tips they get are under the table.

I have tipped because I like showing my appreciation for the work they did for me and the friendship we made. The outfitter sat down with all the hunters to ask us our opinion on some stuff, so we asked him his opinion on tips, he said he doesn't think they are required since he pays the guides a good rate and they know that going in. All the hunters disagreed.

Ask the outfitter, but figure on probably tipping what you are comfortable tipping. Also remember there is a cook and possibly horse wrangelrs as well.