Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Edible antelope???

Old 03-01-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Edible antelope???

I posted a "cry for help" in the recipes section.

Any known way of kicking the sage from this sagegoat? [:'(]
RA

ps
When I have migratory birds ("dark") like ducks, doves etc... I soak them overnight in saltwater and that draws out the blood and takes away that strong taste in the meat. Anything similar for prarie speedsters?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Default RE: Edible antelope???

Antelope is very good meat, it smells a little sagey when cooking, but its taste is milder than deer, and it is always tender. How did you treat it after you shot it? Did you skin it out immediately?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Going past how the meat was handled at harvest, the best way I've found to eliminate "sagey" or "gamey" taste/flavor is to soak the meat in buttermilk for about an hour before cooking. Makes the meat look kind of funny, but broil it up and enjoy!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:36 PM

I don't want to sound stupid here but you did have the meat boned. the butter milk or all most any sald dressing will help if its had the bone removed.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

4 tbs Hines steak sauce
1 cup Italian dressing
2 tbs Garlic salt
1/4 cup water
Dash of Oragano
Put steaks in a zip-loc bag,dump mixture over it,squezz all the air out of it.Let sit 3-6 hours
Take steaks cut into strips,roll in four and fry in hot skilled with oil or butter,server over Patatos,or rice with a cream of mushroom gravy.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

It makes great breakfast sausage, especially the spicier varieties. Don't ever run them hard if you're looking for quality meat. Antelope that have been run around the ranch all day get really gamey.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:04 AM

Be sure to bone the meat. Soak for thirty minutes in 50/50 mix buttermilk and Italian dressing. Roll in flour and cook in peanut oil over low/medium heat until golden brown. Wheww makin my mouth water thinkin about it.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well if you didn't/weren't able to skin it out immediately and place on ice, not sure what to tell you. We have always had the 'lope on ice within 45 mins of the kill and never had a 'sagey' taste to it. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2006, 04:06 PM

I don't mind the "sage" taste in antelope or sage grouse, but if it bothers you jerky is the age-old remedy. Antelope make some great sausage too- I have a whole freezer full of summer sausage, brauts, and polish sausages from the last two antelope we shot.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

i guess another good one is marinade overnight in italian dressing, or they make a rub for meat to be grilled, i think its the same company that makes that montreal steak seasoning stuff.

but for the life of me i dont know why youd want to do that, antelope is the best!

Quick Reply: Edible antelope???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.