Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I'm new to hunting and need advice

Old 07-05-2009, 07:47 AM

Default I'm new to hunting and need advice

im new to hunting and have been looking into it for a while. I don't have a licence yet so getting my licence will obviously be my first step, but after that what kind of equipment would i need for small game hunting? What kind of rifle is ideal for small game? And since i am new would small game hunting be right for me or should i start off with something else. I dont have a huge truck to put huge game in so im not looking into big game. HELP PLEASE!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm new to hunting and need advice

Actually your first step will be completing a hunter safety course, and then you can get your hunting license for which ever game you so choose to pursue.
And a rifle may or may not be the best choice, depending on which game and how you choose to pursue them. A 20 or 12 gauge shotgun may serve you better than a 22 rimfire rifle.
You may learn more about your areas game and the best methods of hunting them from the hunter safety course. SO don't rush on purchasing any gun, until you have a better idea of what game is in your area to hunt, and what game you decide to hunt.
Contact your local wildlife department to find out more on when and where the hunter safety courses are available. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 Howler.Small game (squirrels and rabbits)is really the best way to start off hunting.The advantage of a shotgun is you can use it for about anything,if you wanted to step up to larger game.Since your new to hunting,a 12 gauge shotgun will probably your best bet.A 12 gauge with a set of choke tubes,is a good all purpose gun.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:23 PM

thanks for the advice....Do you recommend taking the classes at home or in a classroom?
Old 07-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure that they are offered "in home" any where. Contact your local game department and they will tell you when and where you can take the classes.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

A course on firearm safety is a must. If there isn't a course available, find someone that has been a shooter and have them teach you the fundamentals. Then, and only because you can always use one, buy yourself a .22lr. It is cheap (or was) to shoot and it can be used for many things from rabbit hunting to PD killing. Start off with learning how the gun works. Learn the technical aspects of shooting. Practice shooting targets at 25 to 50 yards. When you reach a point where everything becomes second nature take a hunter safety course. That way you don't go in there not knowing anything.

Get a license and start small.

I was a late bloomer when it came to firearms. If it wasn't for a friend and his dad, I would probably be ......... well, I don't want to think about what I would be doing. This "sport"/"hobby" has become a great enjoyment to my life. Can't think of anything that I would trade it for.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 AM

yeah, i have some knowledge of shooting...ive been doing pest control in my back yard with a .177 phantom air gun (killed like 20 chipmunks already, those damn things keep on multiplying), but now i kinda want to step it up a bit...like groundhogs and rabbits. would you suggest a .22 rifle or a 12 gauge
Old 07-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

12 gauge.If you want a good all purpose gun,i reccommend a Stoeger 2000 with a set of choke tubes.A good all purpose gun from any thing from squirrels to deer.I bought mine at Academy,walked out the door at about $530.Let me warn you with 3''magnum turkey loads,it kicks like a mule!The shell i use is high brass 6 shot.(2 3/4in will not be as bad as the 3'' mags). It will probabley kill a groundhog at bout 30,35 yards.