Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Suggest a guide

Old 02-02-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Suggest a guide

Me and three guys are looking to get in on our first Elk hunt this year. Looking in Colorado, new mexico. Any suggestions on Guides , outfitters ect. Not looking to spend a ton of money each.

Any help is appreciated
Old 02-02-2006, 08:24 PM

Default RE: Suggest a guide

Try the Colorado Outfitters Assn.
Guides works for outfitters.
"Affordable" hunts are generally some type of self-guided. The outfitter sets you up, and points you in the right direction, and says; "Go get'em".
Anyreason you can't just go on your own?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:14 PM

You tell me , I have never been, and would like to be able to go on my own, but it is hard to plan your first hunt and everything blind.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:24 AM

So many questions to address. Is hunting the primary enjoyment, or do you feel like crap if you don't shoot something? Can you guys get away for a long weekend or two weeks? Is it very affordable, or am I spending my kids college funds? That kind of stuff.
I mean, an outfitter gets you two primary things. Good location, and 3 squares and a cot. Right?Assumning you don't get screwed.So my thinking is, (with the help of sites like this and many other internet options) . . . I can find a likely place to go. I want to give myself enough time to spend 2 - 4 days just scouting and looking over the area(s). You know, taking your gun for long walks in the woods. Then some more time for pinpointing and hopefully succeeding.
I have a very nice camper and don't need the food/loding aspect.
Colorado is a great choice because there are a lot of elk (more than any other state I believe) and the licences are available over the counter. NO DRAWING! You might hit a snag if you were to go to a state that is drawing only for nonresidents because the deadlines for applying are drawing near.