Team 4 Spurr'n Longbeards

Old 04-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, been really busy lately and haven't been keepin up with you guys. How long do yalls seasons last? I know EFH and I will be done April 30 here in Alabama. I went last weekend Friday Saturday AND Sunday, and missed one at about 60 yds that I shouldn't have shot at. I was walking down the road towards the cabin and the fields, and saw a hen walking across the field towards a gobbling tom about 400 yds to the left. I couldn't walk down the road any further or I woulda been in the open and the hen would have busted me. So I dipped into a strip of woods to the left and crawled up behind the cabin and waited til she was out of sight. I started calling away from him to my right, which was a mistake, and then made my way up on the cabin porch to try and get a peek of the gobbler. He gobbled at me 3 or 4 times, and by the time I got up on the porch to peek around and see him, he was already about 150 yds away coming across the field strutting. He didn't pay a bit of attention to the hen, just passed her by and came towards the calling. He was moving a lot faster than I first thought, so I kinda got trapped and couldn't circle back to set up. I hunkered down beside an old recliner and hoped he'd come close enough, but he took the farthest path around a low wet spot in the field about 70 yards out. The hen was following him so I really didn't want to let them go and him get henned up all morning, but I should have. I took a shot from the porch at least 60 yards out and missed him. If I would have let them go past maybe I could have set up on him later on, but I couldn't hold my finger back guys haha. Bad bad season down here, but some good news, I got the new job I interviewed for and will be moving back home about 45 minutes from my land! I'm hanging with wifey and her family for Easter this weekend, but I'll be back out on the 29th and 30th to end this crappy season, hopefully on a good note. Good luck to the rest of you guys, maybe we can make a big comeback!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Happens to all of us Arrow & Southern! sucks though... we start monday and run for 4 weeks. NY starts Wed and runs about the same length... getting very inpatient!
Can't wait for the youth hunt Sat.
The the boy I'm taking at the range yesterday... he's a good shooter... he's 14 and handling the 12 guage 870 w/ 3.5" # 5s like a pro! Any bird that gets in his way is in trouble!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:57 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Arrow, sounds amassingly like my opener! LOL!! Good luck, and thanks for the sticker!

SS, that's tuff bud! At least you know you've got a Tom to hunt in there the last couple of days! Get in there and smoke em!!!!

To all of you with season left to hunt, good luck! I'm pullin for you, and can't wait to hear about your time in the ole turkey woods and see some limb hangers draped over your shoulders!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

NC goes to May 7th. I'll be in NJ May 9-11...
Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Well guys I connected with one this morning!! Not the biggest bird I have ever shot but a turkey for the team!!! Started out this morning getting up a little late after shutting off the alarm it was like 6:20a.m. when I woke up and was "darn it" I got to get a move on it. So I rush and get ready head out to the truck and I'm on my way.

I thought I would check out a spot that I hunted last night after seeing a real nice one on the neighbors field but that didn't pan out. So I stop by there this morning give a few calls nothing so I figure I'm going to the area I have been hunting regularly and there he is out strutting in the field. I thought should be able to call him in if he's by himself but then I see the hen he's with and they were going over the hill in the field. So I drive to the other side of field get out and stay on back side of the hill to the turkeys, while walking across the field keeping my eyes peel'd watching for the birds I sneak to the woodline and set up. After about 20 min he answered with a "gobble" then the hen started. A little later I called softly and I heard the hen again and "wham" here they come behind me. I think the tom had seen me move and let out a couple pucks and started to walk the other way, I'm like "no" so I hurry call again softly and had the hens attention she walked over to the decoy and here he come following her when she got close she started pucking and must have seen me raising the gun and started to leave so I hurry and get the gun up he was 40 yrds out and let him have it. Anyways one for the team!! Eastern-17.5lbs., 7in. beard and both spurs were 3/4in.

Here's the monster & my nephew with me

Your score is 17.3125 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 14 = 46.3125

Last edited by Arrowmaster; 04-23-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya IBHUN10! Way to smack one in the snow bud! Congrats man, be proud of any bird you get. Keep on bustin heads man!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:17 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

IBHUN10, awwww yea!!!!!!! Way to go man! Good lookin bird and great story. Looks like all that snow you were worried about didnt stop ya!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

thanks!! SouthernStrut and EFH, I forgot to add that I shot him at 7:45 a.m. and the hunt lasted about 45min. from the time I had "set-up" to the time the Winchester Supreme #5's let out a "BOOOM" from the Mossberg. When I cleaned him out it appears that he had been shot before cause we found a bb of lead shot in him like the size of buckshot. When I seen him walking in I had thought he seemed to have a limp of some sort. Now! this is when the starts my bro-in-law, j76 who's on Team 10, has to find a way as why I got the turkey...He's tellin me that I shot a crippled up turkey and its no wonder that I got him cause anybody can sneak up on a crippled animal and shoot it!!. Oh well its all fun and games... I think he just can't take the "heat" that I shot a better turkey than he did!!!

Last edited by IBHUN10; 04-23-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:31 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Haha! IBHUN10, tell your bro-in-law a wounded animal is twice as alert in the woods, and it took some mad skills to get on that bird!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IBHUN10
thanks!! SouthernStrut and EFH, I forgot to add that I shot him at 7:45 a.m. and the hunt lasted about 45min. from the time I had "set-up" to the time the Winchester Supreme #5's let out a "BOOOM" from the Mossberg. When I cleaned him out it appears that he had been shot before cause we found a bb of lead shot in him like the size of buckshot. When I seen him walking in I had thought he seemed to have a limp of some sort. Now! this is when the starts my bro-in-law, j76 who's on Team 10, has to find a way as why I got the turkey...He's tellin me that I shot a crippled up turkey and its no wonder that I got him cause anybody can sneak up on a crippled animal I shoot it!!. Oh well its all fun and games... I think he just can't take the "heat" that I shot a better turkey than he did!!!
Speaking of "The Heat".....looks like somebody is pourin it on in this contest!!!! Anybody check the standings lately??? And i know a crippled animal may be more alert, but i did get to see this kill first hand, didn't want to hurt IBHUN10's feelings or anything but on close inspection pretty sure it not only had a limp but was deaf and blind in one eye!! I think he just ran out in front of that mossberg on a suicide run!

All aside, am very glad he got it done, congrats! Plus it leaves the door open for team 10 to hit his and my honey hole next weekend and open the gap up a bit more!!

P.S. That little guy in your pic looks like a future turkey slayer to me!!! Must get it from his dad!!!!

Last edited by j76; 04-23-2011 at 07:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.