Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers >

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Community

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that mud! Thats definately something no one looks forward to. I'm sure everyone here will be awaiting your return.

Keep at em kelly. At least you're calling something in. Has to be kind of amusing though when your calling fools other hunters. Last year my calling brought in coyotes. I got one coyote but all the coyote activity really decreased my sightings of birds.

J76, got the sticker today and I have to agree that you're doing a great job as captain. Getting anxious for you to get out there and get us a bird. Theres alot that can happen in 11 days.

I'll be heading out sometime this weekend. Its the last weekend of bow only before shotgun season opens up. Hoping I get a shot with the bow but if not then I'm putting a gun in my hand so I can run those birds down.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:24 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Sorry about your loss Mud, Have a safe trip.

Keep at em Kelly you'll make somethin happen sooner or later

Thanks for the comments Mottz, I'm getting pretty anxious myself! Got out early this morn to look and listen, Didn't hear any but jumped a hen while checking my cam at one of my spots (no pics tho). Left there and checked another, just as i went to drive away spotted a group of 7 hens step out into the feild wich REALLY got me excited! THought it was odd they didn't have a tom with them, but a group that size has to pick up a tom befor too long i'd think. Then on the way home I actually seen my first Gobblers of 2011!!!!!! 3 struttin toms and 6 or 7 hens in a guys backyard. Of course no where near where i can hunt but was still nice to finally see some! Also got word that the spot i shot my bird last yr has turkeys runnin around, its close to 2 hrs away so haven't looked at it yet and still no for sure if i'll get permission to hunt it but don't think it will be a prob. So things are starting to look a little better and 70 with rain possible tomorrow so hopefully things keep lookin better!! Good luck to those gettin out this weekend!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

ty all and i will do what i can not looking good on getting to illionis for the funeral.so i will dedicate next hunt to mom and unkle frank.the least i can do right now
Old 04-10-2011, 03:47 AM
j76
Typical Buck

I'm sure they would like that Mud. Go get em!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went out this A.M. and got setup and within 10 minutes there was gobbling in the trees not even 100 yards away. I thought I was in the money. Heard them all pitch down and I started calling. They'd answer every call I threw at them but I could not get them to come out of the draw. They even started spreading out from what I could hear but still stayed in the bottom. Had 1 deer come into my decoys and started stomping and snorting so I had to stick my head out of the blind to get it to leave. Then another deer came in and did the same thing. Gobbling stopped after that so I had to figure a plan B.

Decided to do a stalk with the bow down into the bottoms. Did a little calling and the gobbling started again. Seen a BIG bird fanned out. The beard was dragging on the ground. Got to within 50 yards of him. Just like that I see 20 deer take of running. Look back and the boy was gone. Decided to give it up and go hang some cameras. Next week I'm gonna have the gun in hand and ready for some redemption!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mottz
Went out this A.M. and got setup and within 10 minutes there was gobbling in the trees not even 100 yards away. I thought I was in the money. Heard them all pitch down and I started calling. They'd answer every call I threw at them but I could not get them to come out of the draw. They even started spreading out from what I could hear but still stayed in the bottom. Had 1 deer come into my decoys and started stomping and snorting so I had to stick my head out of the blind to get it to leave. Then another deer came in and did the same thing. Gobbling stopped after that so I had to figure a plan B.

Decided to do a stalk with the bow down into the bottoms. Did a little calling and the gobbling started again. Seen a BIG bird fanned out. The beard was dragging on the ground. Got to within 50 yards of him. Just like that I see 20 deer take of running. Look back and the boy was gone. Decided to give it up and go hang some cameras. Next week I'm gonna have the gun in hand and ready for some redemption!
Good scout trip. Shotgun season try to set up somewhere in that draw before daylight, and they should be in your lap on flydown.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I need to flip a 3 sided coin to decide. Sit east, west or in the bottom because they do the opposite of what I think. Might just have to round up a posse and surround them.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:09 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Sounds like it was a close one Mottz!! Must have been exciting anyways! Thats the next best thing to actually nailin one! I'm soooooo ready!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang in there guys, they'll come around.

Getting closer here. Will be out this weeked calling for a buddy. My season opens next week. Good Luck everyone.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I know it does't help us out, but DTC Jr killed a super nice 2 yr old Saturday morning of MO youth season. He weighed 24 1/2 lbs, 10 3/8" beard, and 3/4" spurs. The pic is on his team page.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.