Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers >

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Community

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Old 04-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

i will be out at the 3 bird incident spot in am hope have a repeate of happinings up till shot gl team and team ten is gona take top spot in all catigories lol
Old 04-12-2011, 04:21 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Make it happen Mud!! Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck Mud!!

I know we are all in the turkey frenzy right now but I'm gonna change it up a little here. I wanna hear your most memorable hunt. ANy species, maybe not you but a child or family member. Just trying to see whats going on in everyones best memories. Heres mine so far.

Opening day of rifle season, bow was unproductive, last year. All my buddies had the good spots. So I sat by myself all morning in a draw that I have harvested a couple small bucks. Wasn't seeing anything. Broke off about 11 to get a better gameplan and everyone else seen alot of deer and I had seen 1 doe. I went back to the same draw only on a different side and found a tree that I could climb up in and just sit. It was overlooking the draw and the wind was blowing right in my face. I decided to break all the rules. Take a 10 min nap, have a smoke and look around and then repeat. After an hour or so, I seen some hunters to the land directly east of me starting to walk into a known bedding area. So I figured I'd grab my gun just in case they'd spook something my way. For some reason I looked in front of me and a buck was walking towards the bedding area only 15 yards away. I seen it was a good buck and I quickly picked up my gun and as he walked behind a lone evergreen tree, I raised and put my scope to about the height and once he stepped out I shot. It was a very unclear view in the scope since he was so close. ANd I must of shot just a tad early because I got him in the base of the neck and dropped him. As he laid there I seen 4 antlers so I figured a 4x4. But once I got out of the tree I seen a 5th. I was so pumped. This is my best deer by far (129") and it was great to finally be the guy who out does his buddies. I finally had the better spot. And heres a pic of me and my not so sure about a dead deer son.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Nice Lookin buck Mottz!

Hard to narrow it down, so many awsome memories to choose from. But one of my top 3 has to be from about 5 or 6 years ago. A freind of mine's boy wanted to go turkey hunting, his dad had never done it befor so they asked me to go with them. When the time finally came there was a small feild next to my freinds dad's house, the boys granpa that all of the sudden over the last couple days had a single tom roosting on the back edge of it. Think at the time i had only killed maybe one or two turkeys myself and had never set up on a roosting bird. We put him to bed, new where he was and sat up the next morn about 250 yrds away from him. All i had at the time was a cheap box call, when daylight broke i started calling, I am by no means eaven a moderately skilled caller but MAN!! i had him on a string as soon as he hit the ground! I'm sure the fact he was without hens help...alot!! But was still awsome. I had placed a coupe dekes off to our right and his dad was set up about ten yards to our left. The tom came in slightly to the left of us, got about 60 yrds away, spotted the dekes and angled to his left cutting across right in front of us, PERFECT!! I had the boy setting pretty much right in my lap and as the tom approached i could hear the excitement in his breathing, hard to beleive i could here it over my own heart pounding!! He was shooting some old pile of a bolt action 20 ga. looked like it came from a garage sale, bird got about 25 yrds directly in front of us and i told him to take him. BOOM! bird went straight up in the air and came down runnin curving around to our right headed for the woods in behind us. I look down and the kids gun is jammed! His dad had a gun, so i figured 2 guns is plenty and had left mine in the truck, and heading where he was we were in between the bird and his dad so he had no shot. All i could think is we gotta get this bird!! So i jumped up and ran after him. Luckily right at the edge of the woods was an old fence with a pieace of boken wire hangin off one of the posts, the bird ran right into it and got a little hung up in it allowing me to get right up on him. He got loose of it and into the woods we went! Now this is a really thick section of woods, i'm about 220 and smoke 2 packs of Marlboros a day!, Needless to say eaven a wounded turkey is not an easy thing for me to be goin after! I just put my arms in front of my face and started plowin thru hopin i didn't hit anything more solid than me!
I suddenly had this feeling of what are you doing you idiot!! yer gonna kill yerself runnin in here like this!! about that time my legs basically said, nope thats it, we're done and just stop working. I fell forward and slammed into a tree, which was the only thing that kept me on my feet. I stood there crouched over with my hands on my knees suckin some serious wind, thinkin oh yeah i'm about to have a heartattack and devistated that the bird got away from me. After about 30 sec i finally had the energy to lift my head and about 2 feet in front of me stood the turkey!! Mouth hangin open suckin wind the same as me! I Thought oh $#*% , now what do i do? I literally didn't think i had the energy to fall forward and grab for him! My freind finally caught up to us and was able to finish him off. Now that was a wild hunt!! Now this ole bird had lead a rough life! no idea about his weight but was missin tail feathers, both spurs were busted off and the weirdest thing was where his beard should have been was nothing but about a 3 in. circle of bare skin! No feathers and no sign of where a beard eaven would have been!! But eaven still the boy was beamin with his first turkey in hand! Thats gonna be a hard memory to beat!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Later guys. Good luck to everyone going hunting. There's a couple of Gobblers waiting to die in Kansas, and hope to help out the team. Will be back late Monday. Jay
Old 04-13-2011, 09:18 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Good luck Jay!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

I got the go ahead from work to take off this weekend so I will be headed to West Oklahoma to try my luck. I'm headed out after work tomorrow so I should be there right before dark. With any luck I'll get it done this year!!!

Good luck to ya Jay
Old 04-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story j! How many times did you have to run that hunt through you're mind before you figured out exactly how things went? I know when adrenaline kicks in its hard to remember how things took place. Thats a great story and a great 1st bird for him!

Good luck Iowa!

Good luck kelly! Hope to hear some good success stories from you guys!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:48 PM
j76
Typical Buck

[quote=Mottz;3798342]Great story j! How many times did you have to run that hunt through you're mind before you figured out exactly how things went?

Luckily I had my buddy and his kid to help me peice it together when it was all over! I can remember plowin thru the woods chasin that stupid thing like it was yesterday!!

Checked out my new huntin spot tonite. What a beautiful piece of property!! It's 80acres, has about a 15 acre feild, high rolling oaks and swamp all on it. Jumped 3 jakes when i started out into the feild and the one side has a nice oak ridge that leads down to the edge of the property with about a 20-30 acre plowed feild across the line, seen 4 birds across it at about 400 yards, and could tell one was a tom. Theres a pretty good size area on the side of the ridge comin out of that feild that is scratched up pretty good and looks like it would be the best place to set up. Gonna check it out a little better this weekend but right now looks like the place to be opening day. Also have a diff piece of prop, 120 acres where i found a spot where a tom has been workin that i'll check again tomorrow, hopin i got him figured out! There's 3 of us huntin this yr and really want to see all 3 tags filled.

Good luck Kelly! Punch a big one for us!!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a pretty cool place with alot of potential. Hope it pays off for ya j!

So whos the next volunteer for tellin a memorable story?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.