Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team "10" Most Wanted

Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 AM
Spike

I have never had a deer come close a blind. I have brushed them in and they always seem to pick it out and go around it. Crazy I know. I never use one for deer hunting. I have sat on the ground on a stool and tucked myself into an evergreen tree with some good luck.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like it was a pretty slow week for us. I've been away with the wife, but we are back in town now and I'm heading out in the morning. Gonna try my one lock on that I haven't even tried yet. No one has stepped into that section of the woods yet, so I hope I can get some action. While I was away my brother inlaws cousin shot an 8 point on the property, but there has many more spotted in the area. Lets just hope they are roaming the area.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Spike

I'm headed out in the morning. I'm gonna sit until the little lady rings the dinner bell via text message. I'm gettin down and eatin a plate with the family and then I'm headed right back up.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Well I guess I'm gonna have to have a doe killing spree come January. In a one day hunt I saw over 20 different doe/yearlings and only 2 scrub bucks. My buddy who was hunting the backside of the property did see a nice 8 point chasing a doe. I'll be heading out on Sat morning. Good luck guys and Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Happy T-Day guys! Now go get us some bone on the ground dangit!!! lol
Old 11-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Spike

Ok guys at 1005 this morning the damn swamp donkey walks right under my tree literally I am watching him through my treestand platform. He walks out on a trail that takes him 13 yards away and there he stands broadside. I don't have a 10 yard pin so I put the 20 yard pin low on him right on the heart and let it fly. It smacks him right where I put my pin. He death kicks and jump a fence right in front of him and goes about 60 yards and I'm thinking its over. He just stands there for about 10 minutes. I get the binocs and he is pouring blood out of the exit which I can see went out of his right front leg and it looks like a low exit. I was sure I got the heart so I sat tight. He stumbled off really slow out of sight so I snuck out and got reinforcements. We head back in about an hours and a half later. We get on the blood trail that Ray Charles could follow and the next thing you know we have tracked good blood for several hundred yards now. We go across a bald pasture and he pops up in front of us. He makes it about 75 yards and lays in a thicket. We decide to go eat Thanksgiving dinner at my place and leave him to die. I go back in about 3 hours later and go right to the spot where is was bedded and he is gone. Big spot of blood but no big deer. So I start back on the trail which is pretty easy to follow and I get about 300 yards along and he pops up again and manages to make it over a short fence and I let him go out of sight and I left for the day. I plan to go back in tomorrow and see what the deal is. I'll tell you guys that I have shot a bunch of deer with a bow and have not made a bad shot like this in some time. This deer was magnificant. A true beast of a deer and he did exactly what I wanted him to do and I fouled it up. I'm truly sorry guys and I hope to maybe have better news tomorrow. It's supposed to 19 tonight and I'm hoping that will stove him up enough that he'll die where he laid. I sure hope so. I have been waiting on a deer like this all year and have passed several 140 and low 150 bucks for this one. I'll let everyone know tomorrow. I can't imagine what went wrong on the shot. I held low intentionally because the last few does I have shot I whacked them a little high. I didn't want to do that to this big boy so I put it right on his heart fellas and I don't know what went wrong. Any thoughts would sure help. Good or bad. Let me know what I did wrong or did right. I need to learn from this so this doesn't happen again.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Big I hope you find this creature,I'm sure you will. I think the deer
started to move and glanced off the rib. You yourself did nothing
wrong just dumb luck. You will find him. I'm waiting for the gun season to get over with here in WI, have had good luck in the past during late season and will lower my standards a little bit
to score that is if I get the chance. Good luck finding your deer.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Good Luck Sugar!!!! Sounds like he is putting out a lot of blood. I'd be suprised if he survives after all that blood loss. I'm hoping for some great news soon!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

I'm heading out in the morning. If I see over 20 doe/yearlings again, I might just have to take one out. But any buck 100 inches or more will be shot, tired of not seeing much buck activity this year
Old 11-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jag-mag
Big I hope you find this creature,I'm sure you will. I think the deer
started to move and glanced off the rib. You yourself did nothing
wrong just dumb luck. You will find him. I'm waiting for the gun season to get over with here in WI, have had good luck in the past during late season and will lower my standards a little bit
to score that is if I get the chance. Good luck finding your deer.
Its almost our turn to get back in the woods Jag, I have seen alot of success here during gun, ( I dont gun) but I have a story (short) that I will share when I have more time, chaps my azz to tell but it is what it is. Good Luck Gentlemen!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.