Community
2008 Indoor Leagues Enjoy some off-season archery fun by participating in one of our Indoor Shooting Leagues.

Question about lenses

Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Question about lenses

The 3D circuit I'm shooting this year has a somewhat funky rule. This year....in this circuit.....I'm shooting HC to 30 yds. In other shoots.....HC is to 40yds. Anyways....the main circuit next class "up" (or "back") allows 12" stabilizers; pins (which I comply with, now)....but they allow lenses. I'm thinking that's a little odd......but I'm also thinking I'll shoot one if it's allowed.

Rob is telling me it'll change my POI. I don't like that a bit. I want one 3D setup for everyhting I shoot. I guess I could shoot it without a lens....and here's my question....

Is NOT shooting a lens against guys who ARE shooting one....a big disadvantage?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about lenses

ASA always has allowed a lens on a fixed pins sight for HC. I personally don't like the concept for a pins sight to be honest though, purely preferance. I managed to beat some really good shooters in HC that were using lenses for the ASA state shoot I won, so honestly I don't think it's a significant advantage at less than 40 yards.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 AM

OBVIOUSLY Rick James has much more experience at this than I....in fact, I've never shot a lens, but love the concept. Anyway, my logic tells me that it would be. Those guys can see exactly where they want to hit w/ the magnification lens....I have to pick that spot out in my binos then try to remember exactly where that was when I go to shoot. Again, that's just my logic, and I could be completely wrong.

Rick, I'm not surprised that you beat those guys, honestly. But the difference w/ Jeff an myself is we are simply not in the class you are when it comes to this. Jeff and I are simply more....."average" than you, so I think for us it's bit different....JMO.....could be wrong, have been before.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dunno about somebody on Matts level..but it's a big advantage at mine. I have a 4x lens for my HHA. I can't shoot vegas (league)with it. But I can play with it. It's the difference of seeing the rings (and X) and trying to center on onea vast yellow spot.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Well let's say you were curious about them. Which power (for 40yds and IN) would you be looking at? Would you also want a hood?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

I am glad you asked because I will able to use a lense in the next class I move to. I have been wondering the same thing.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want one to play with, I'd never consider anything higher than a 4x lens for 3D. The lens I use when competing open class on my Axcel sight is a 3x.

One big thing to consider................

A lens may/may not change impact point. If it rains, and your sighted in w/ a lens........it gets messy quickly, and if you pull it out it may/may not change your impact point. Also, what are you going to do when you pull down on a 20 yard turkey.......and all you see is black? This is a huge majority of the shots you are going to see from HC stakes anyhow........things at less than 30 yards.