Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Can turkeys see a red dot lenses? >

Can turkeys see a red dot lenses?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Can turkeys see a red dot lenses?

Old 02-10-2006, 06:52 AM

Default Can turkeys see a red dot lenses?

I started sighting in my Bushnell Trophy red dot scope on my 835 yesterday, it has a 6 MOA dot and I must say, I am impressed.
When I was walking back to my gun, I noticed that the lense has a red tint to it, which was kinda visible to me. It is the barrel side lense, so it is pointed towards the bird.
Anyway, my question is do you think a bird could pick this up, either in the early morning light or in brighter light? Anyone has any experience with this sort of thing?
Any input=Awesome
Old 02-10-2006, 06:51 PM

Default RE: Can turkeys see a red dot lenses?

Campo,
There are a LOT of turkey hunters using scopes and red dot's anymore, myself included! I wouldn't worry about a turkey seeing it, although it's possible I suppose, I seriously doubt it will affect the outcome of your hunt! Put it on the gun and go hunting.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 PM

Believe it or not you CAN see the red dot as it is simply a tiny beam of light that is projected from the rear of the scope onto the front of the scope (the ocular lense). If you turn the scope on and then walk down range and look back at it (PLEEEEEEEASE unload the gun first and leave it open! ) you can see the dot, especially in dim or darker situations. You gotta be careful, I have known of a handful of birds that were spooked by red dots (don't get me wrong I STRONGLY recommend their use) over the years by various buddies, reps and customers of mine. I think the main concern is just make sure you don't "follow" the bird for a long time while you watch him through the scope while in low light. You make that much movement and you probably will been seen as much for the movement as anything else.

Good luck,
RA
Old 02-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have the luxury ofspooking a bird and then having another one gobbling 5 minutes later. That being said, I can't afford to take chances. I use Tru-Glo rifle sights
Old 02-10-2006, 08:07 PM

not allowed to have them on ours, during turkey season,
MR LONGBEARD, you ever pass through my neck of the woods, look me up, and i'll let you hear 5 to 8 gobble at daybreak on a 200 acre track
Old 02-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I worded it wrong...

In other words... If I blow my chance on a gobbler over something as stupid as putting a red flashlight on my turkey gun, the chance I'll have another Gobbler come into my calls that same year are pretty slim

Now if your 200 acre track of private land is full of un weary gobblers then the red flash light won't make a difference

Make more sense???

Old 02-10-2006, 08:33 PM

THEIR ILLEGAL TO USE IN OUR STATE, WOULDN'T USE ONE ANYWAY.THE 200 ACRE DEAL WAS AN INVITE, NOTHING TO DO WITH UNWEARY GOBBLERS. GOOD LUCK.
ORIGINAL: one on one

not allowed to have them on ours, during turkey season,
MR LONGBEARD, you ever pass through my neck of the woods, look me up, and i'll let you hear 5 to 8 gobble at daybreak on a 200 acre track
Old 02-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks anyway...

Even thoe I complain about public land so much... I really wouldn't have it any other way... I love the challenge of taking pressured gobblers
Old 02-10-2006, 08:48 PM

WISH WE HAD SOME PUBLIC LAND IN MY AREA,THERES MORE OUT OF TOWN HUNTERS, THAN LOCALS. ITS ALL ABOUT A DOLLAR AROUND HERE.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well this is the future of hunting...

In the future only the rich will be able to hunt large tracks of private land

And us poormiddle class will be stuck on over crowded public land

Eventually all public land will be hunted by drawings or lottery's

Quick Reply: Can turkeys see a red dot lenses?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.