Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Cleaning lenses >

Cleaning lenses

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Cleaning lenses

Old 10-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Cleaning lenses

My binocular lenses and rifle scope lenses are a little dirty after going through some snow/melt cycles during the elk season last week (no success on my part, drat). What is the best method for cleaning lenses of highquality optics? I don't want to scratch the coating or otherwise damage the coatings or lenses during the cleaning. Sorry for the rudimentary post.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cleaning lenses

I bought a Zeiss scope cleaning kit. I figure it has to be about as good as you can get.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use caned compressed air to remove any particles and use lens cleaner with a soft cloth...
Old 10-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I bought my Nikon SLR I was told never to use compressed air as it has to much air flow and can actually damage the coatings or lens by slamming the particles into it. He gave us a cleaning kit that had a squeeze blower thingy(technical term) to remove the particles before touching the lens. He might have been full of it but since thenI have used the "thingy" andlens cleaner with silk lens cloths on all my optics. No problems to report.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I was told never to use compressed air as it has to much air flow and can actually damage the coatings or lens by slamming the particles into it.
Hum.... interesting. Something to think about, but I do have one of those squeeze thingy. Just might have to give it a try...
Old 10-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your discussion of the "blower thingy" reminded me that I have a camera lens cleaning kit that I bought long ago that includes just such a "blower thingy." This kit probably includes the needed lens care equipment in it.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Trailer like I sadi not sure if the guys was blowing smoke up my tailpipe or not. It did make sense though, the "blower thingy" is not as effecient but works.

Alsatian, probably the exact "thingy" I have/use.

I also heard of guys using water to remove particles then tipping to remove most, wipe the metal edges with q-tips, let dry and then using the lnse cleaner and cloth.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I also heard of guys using water to remove particles then tipping to remove most, wipe the metal edges with q-tips, let dry and then using the lnse cleaner and cloth.
I had read somewhere not to use water because it could leave mineral deposits but I guess it all depends on how hard the water is from the tap that is...