Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Shaft 'Em Thread (25) >

Official Team Shaft 'Em Thread (25)

Community

Official Team Shaft 'Em Thread (25)

Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Shaft 'Em (25) Thread

Well, I have to say that I am getting frustrated. I sat Sunday morning from 1 hour before sunrise to 11:30, and didn't see a thing. I swaped out memory cards in the trail cam, and have only 3 new pictures of deer on it. There were about 25 new pictures, and about 2 or 3 of them should have been of me when I walked by it, but I was never in the pictures. I don't know if there is a initial delay on my camera or what, but something isn't right on it. I have no idea what is going on with deer movement in my area. By this time last year, I had seen somewhere around 50-60 deer, and as of yet I have seen about 10-15. I have been more careful about scent control and playing the wind that ever, but i guess that isn't the problem... What to do, what to do. And I haven't been able to hunt my other property because the fields are still full of corn.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stick with it Brett, thats kinda how i felt last year. plus you always see good action over but cornfields.

I didnt get out tonight, but i will be in the stand bright and early tomorrow going after the Halloween buck.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck to the both of you. Tonight I drove around a few of the fields to see what was moving to scout for my brother while he was in stand. There are a LOT of young bucks tormenting the does. About every other field, I'd see a small basket rack pushing a doe. I did see two mature bucks up on their feet around 5:00. One was a 125" 10 point, and the other was a giant bodied deer. I never got much of a look at his rack because he was in some shrubs, but man he had probably the biggest body I'd seen in a long time. I saw 4 bucks after the same doe this morning, and then saw 3 more in a different field after one doe at about 4:50. Things are getting real good. I already miss sitting in my stand and it's only been a week.

Good luck and put something on the ground boys!!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well guys i had a pretty good morning hunt. It started off by me getting into the stand without spooking any deer, thats always a plus. After about 30 minutes or so i heard movement ahead of me and had a half rack 1.5 year old buck walk down the trail past my stand. He walked right down the path i used to get in the stand and it didnt bother him one bit. He passed by at 10 yards and didnt spot me, which is another plus (ive been working on better stand concealment). Now i have a few questions here, #1, he didnt stop to check any of the 4 scrapes he walked by, and #2, i poured some doe urine on the ground in one spot and he didnt stop for that either. He just walked right on past and went up towards my deer camera on the opposite ridge, hopefully ill get some pics of him. After that i rattled a few times and eventually heard some movement. I pulled up the binos and saw 3 fawns and 2 does feeding on the flat to my right, and they were soon joined by about 15 turkeys. They fed in a circle around my stand, and i had a shot at the turkeys once, but with deer in the area i didnt want to risk it. One of the does eventually gave me a 35 yard broadside shot, but with the way things have been going i passed.

Im going out now to tweak a few of my stand sites and i may go out hunting tonight before my fire classes if time permits.

67deer on28 hunts,23 does,24 fawns,9 bucks and11 unknown.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

i'll be out for a bit tomorrow, gotta be back home in time for my statistics class
then i'm headed out all day friday
wish i could hunt bucks for this management hunt i'm doing at the state park, there's a nice wide bodied buck i've seen on several trips out there. looks to have at least 8 points on him, i'll take my camera with me tomorrow and see if i can get a picture of him.
good luck everyone
Old 11-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Got to my stand really late today, and only got to hunt for an hour.

67deer on29 hunts,23 does,24 fawns,9 bucks and11 unknown.

My brother was hunting the double today and saw 7 does and a nice 8 point. The buck chased a doe right under his stand but he couldnt get him to stop for a shot. A buddy of mine who lives down the road and is on the fire department has seen Freak Daddy a few times eating out of his apple trees during the last week.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I should be out hunting this weekend. Possibly even Friday evening. I am raring to get back into the stand. The hunting truck is getting new brake lines put on it as we speak.

On another not, I found out that I will not be getting a male black lab anymore.The mother only had one black male, that lived. The second was still-born. So now I am going to be getting myself a chocolate male from a different female that he bred. But, I am still just as excited about this as I was before!

Good luck everybody!

Brett
Old 11-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear about the lab Brett,

And im planning on hunting all weekend but idk if it will happen because of my schedule [:@]
Old 11-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Almost scored for the team today
Went to one of my spots to try some spot and stalk hunting and saw nothing after about 3 hours.
Decided to try the north side of this area, guy I work with says he's seeing deer up there all the time and said I could use one of the stands he has there.
Got into the stand around noon, after an hour of seeing nothing I got down and put out some wicks with estorous sent at about twenty yards out. Once back on stand I broke out the Deer in a can Estorous bleet and the rattle bag. Hit the deer in a can four times and waited about five minutes and had a decent six pointer come in with his nose to the gound, he gave me a broadside shot at 15 yards out. Silly me didn't see the tree limb in the way, arrow hit the ground a couple feet in front of him. Figured I was done for the day after that.
Hit the rattle bag after a few minutes and low and behold here comes a bigger eight pointer, he stayed just inside a tree line 30 yards out and never gave me a good shot.
After he left I waited another few minutes and hit the bleat again, about two minutes later another eight pointer step out of the tree lineout broadside to me. I must have misjudged the distance because my arrow ended up hitting the ground right under him. He high tailed it out of dodge to live another day.
Guess I'll just have to try again, now that I know where to go

Don
Old 11-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a great hunt Don!

Quick Reply: Official Team Shaft 'Em Thread (25)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.