Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official America's Team Thread (19) >

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Community

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Old 10-19-2008, 10:02 AM

Default RE: Official team 19 hang out...

I've been hitting it pretty hard this weekend. I saw a smallish 6 point this morning, and if I didn't know any better I would say he was cruising looking for chicks. He was just a yearling so I figure he doesn't know what to do with all these feelings he is suddenly having.....But that sure is what it looked like he was up to, so it must be getting close. That's the only deer I've seen in the last 2 days. I admit I didn't hunt yesterday evening though. This is the first weekend in 3 that I've been home, and the wife figured I needed to spend some time with her so we went to a hayride. It was fun, but....I would rather have been in a tree.

The wind is perfect so I'll be back in the same stand this evening.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wish we had Sunday hunting
Old 10-19-2008, 07:16 PM

Yeah, for you guys that can't hunt on Sunday, what's the supposed logic behind that? I never could understand that. Biologically it cannot make a darn bit of difference.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

Yeah, for you guys that can't hunt on Sunday, what's the supposed logic behind that? I never could understand that. Biologically it cannot make a darn bit of difference.
It goes back to Sunday being the Lords day ...... remember when NOTHING was open on Sunday? Remember when everything closed at 6 pm during the week...... those were the days when families were families ....but I digress.....

It was good talking to you Don!!! MAN you got a wicked accent

y'all sound alike ....Mobo, AF, GMATT,
Old 10-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

PT, how do I put this tactfully....Ah heck! I can't! So I'll just say.....BITE ME!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 AM

Well guys a little update as to what i've been up to. This past thursday I finally was able to get out again after my only other day in the woods being on the opener when I took my doe on Oct 4th. I managed to see 10 deer and 1 turkey thursday. In all and from what I could tell they all were doe or young ones. Had to shot opportunities but passed at them deciding they were too small. One passed at 25-30yds and then I had another pass right by me at under 5yds. LOL I could have jumped out of my stand onto her back. She was borderline and I decided to let her walk in hopes that a buck I know has been cruising the area cam by but alass the bugger didn't show up. That doe actually stopped at the base of my ladder stand and looked right up at me wearing my enigma camo and gave me the all too familliar stare through. She just looked like she was starring right through me and never picked me out at all. Very quickly going back about her business of feeding. Also upon leaving my stand I was shocked and worried to hear a pack of coyotes howling not far from where my stand was located. This is the first time I have heard them on this piece of property but believed this spring after finding a dead turkey and not seeing or let alone hearing a stinking bird all spring that the coyotes were around. Well My hunch was right. Looks like Im gonna be doing some yote hunting this year too.

Here are the pics of the doe that passed at 5yds.

I then Hunted friday afternoon and only managed to see 3 deer and a flock of 26 turkeys. On deer was directly under my stand as I walked in and the other 2 greeted me as I walked out a CRP field back to my truck. All in all a productive 2 days. My next outing is planned for wednesday evening. So hopefully I can get a nice peak at the other buck thats running around on the property.

Here is a picture of my view about 100yds from my stand as I walked out friday evening.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't wait to get out this weekend and it isonly Monday. Weather is supposed to be few showers but the wind will be great for 2 of the stands I have not been able to use yet.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: mobow

It goes back to Sunday being the Lords day ...... remember when NOTHING was open on Sunday? Remember when everything closed at 6 pm during the week...... those were the days when families were families ....but I digress.....

It was good talking to you Don!!! MAN you got a wicked accent

y'all sound alike ....Mobo, AF, GMATT,
Well I would like for someone to explain to me how hunting is a violation of the Lord's day? I understand a day of rest and all that, but .....isn't hunting a form of that? Why does "rest" have to be sitting and doing nothing? In fact, that does me no good at all, it makes me worse. Isn't "rest" about recharging your batteries? Renewing your soul? Shoot, I spend more quality time with Jesus while sitting in a tree than I do in church (and I go to church regularly as well).

PT, like I said bro....YOU have the accent, I sound just fine! How did it end up? I think I already know, but.....it's tough, I know. I've been there myself.

Well I expected to see more deer than I did this weekend, but I did some thinking and analyzing last evening while in my perch. What I think is going on is, that area was totally flooded a month ago, and it's taking them a bit of time to reintroduce that bottom into their habits again. That small buck I saw yesterday morning had mud caked to his knees, I don't think they are fond of that either. And, we know they are hitting the acorns hard right now, and all there is in that bottom is cottonwoods and maple. But the rut is iminent, and I figure by next weekend I should start seeing some scrapes and such in there. And with the forecast highs in the 50's later this week.........It's about to get good!

I'm off work today, and only work 3 days this week. The kids are off school friday, so I'll be spending the day with them. But after that, I'll be in a tree the rest of the weekend. It's not QUITE time to stay all day yet, but I'm staying later into the morning than I was, and back out earlier. Then I go on vacation Nov. 5, and I'm off for 12 days. Those 12 will be dark to dark sits. Man, I'm gettin the itch, it's just so close.....I gotta be patient though....It's tough, but patience is the deal right now. Let it come to me.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went out last night even though it was windy. My stand on the bottoms was where I should have gone, but my son didn't leave until 5:00, so I went to the stand closest to me. Didn't see a single deer moving. About 8:30 last night, the neighbors dogs announced the deer moving out of the timber. Hope to be out tonight if the wind dies down. Rain tomorrow and Wednesday. I'd be happy with any of the mature bucks I have seen this year now. There's a wide 6, a wide 8, a really tall 8, the ten pointer from hades, and the 16 pointer. Right now, the first one that gives me the shot, is not gonna know what hit him until it's too late. On the brighter side, my son and I got the old Honda FL250 running yesterday and clocked it at 35 mph, which isn't too bad when you're only sitting 16 inches above the ground. That thing is a blast to drive, but NOISEY!!! And it's hard to get back out of when you have old bones like me. I hope I can get it sold soon, got bills to pay and need to visit the Dr, but can't do either until after I have some money.

Good luck to you guys. Whose gonna be the first to drop one on this team?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM

Coop, I think it's a damn shame the way you're being jerked around. You served our country for what? 20 years? And now you're having to make decisions like whether you can go to the doctor or not? It's complete BS, IMO.

Whose gonna be the first? I dunno, cause honestly....I think each and every guy on this team has a legitimate shot at dropping one. The rut is fast approaching, and we're starting to see the bucks fall. It'll pick up in the next week or so.

Quick Reply: Official America's Team Thread (19)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.