Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official America's Team Thread (19) >

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Official America's Team Thread (19)

Old 10-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official team 19 hang out...

Cold here this AM - 30 degrees. News is calling for 4 - 6 inches of snow in western NE. Rain is supposed to hit tonight, so I will be in the stand over the turnips this afternoon.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 AM

Sounds like a good plan Coop! I was checking the weather for the weekend and I don't have the best wind in the world.....I'm undecided where I'm gonna be this weekend. My time in stand will start increasing this weekend as well. I've been getting down between 930 and 10, but now I will stay until 11 or so. Then back out at 3 or 330. It's not quite time to sit all day yet but it's coming. If I'm seeing good movement one of those days though.....I probably will sit all day. Man I need a north wind, and so far this fall that's been hard to get.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heading out this evening fellas, im going to try and get off work early, its 42 degrees lets hope the cool tempshasthe bucksup and moving this evening.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went out this afternoon and got in the SE stand. Winds were out of the North for the first 10 minutes and then switched to coming out of the East. Was in the stand by 3:45 and waited............and waited...........and waited. At 5:45, a deer busted out of the woods about 400 yards West of me and started running for the corn field to the South. I pulled up my call and did a doe bleat. The bugger changed directions and came straight towards me. At 200 yards I could clearly see that it was a slickhead. It stopped about 60 yards out behind some trees. I bleated again and it came right in. I walked up behind my River Bottom Doe target/decoy and raised its tail. It stomped once but the decoy didn't respond so it took a couple of steps forward and stomped again. It lowered it's head to eat and I could see the bumps on it's head. It kept taking a couple of steps and then looking at the decoy. Finally, it walked down to the pond and drank. When he was finished drinking, he started towards the oat field and then turned and charged the decoy. A few feet away from it, the button buck raised up on his back legs and brought his hooves within inches of the faceof the decoy. But the decoy held it's ground. The youngster walked back to the oats and began to graze. After eating for about 15 minutes, he returned to the pond and got another drink. He then slowly made his way to the West and the comfort of the timber. Every few feet, he'd look back at the decoy and then start on his way again. It was a blast to watch this young deer interact, or try to anyway, with the decoy. I didn't see another deer all evening. After dark, I made my way home in the wind, freezing my butt off the whole way. When I got to the detached garage to take my hunting clothes off, the wind died down. Just my luck. Rain is supposed to start tonight and not end until Thursday. So, I won't be back in the stand until Thursday night or Friday morning.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM

Sounds pretty exciting none the less bro......I've never hunted w/ a decoy, you like it?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well my yesterday evening hunt was a bust. So i get to my stand and i no sooner climb up, sit down and go to pull my bow when i caught movement on the gas line, sure enough it was a deer sneaking across the gas line at about 30 yrds,It dissapeared into the thick stuff and was never able to tell what it was, i gave a few grunts to try and coax it back out but no go. About a half hour later 3 does came out of the thicket and heading to the little field they feed in,, then i notice the wind changing a little blowing more out of the S/SE as soon That happened i notice them on high alert sure enough they wind me and one blows and the others follow back were they came from. So i decided to back out and not sit till dark in case a buck were to come out i wouldnt risk blowing him out of the area. On my way out walking the CRP field edge a 1/8 mile from my stand i notice a deer out in the middle so i put the bino's on him and sure enough its a buck. The deer starts walking downwind of me and kind of parallel to me out about 80 yrds, i new he wanted to get to the tree line. He then dissapers intoa little ditch in the field, so i then snuck up as far as a could and closed the distance some. He pops out of the ditch and is skylinedas im glassing him and i could see he was a big wide 4 point with no brow tines. As he entered the tree line i was ready as he offered me a perfect broadside shot at about 40yrds but had to pass him, another year and he will bea real nice buck.

Does anyone know the truth to rubs? ok i heard the more rubs on the property the better thebuck to doe ratio is. And if you cant find many rubs there's too many does for the bucks to handle so they dont rub as much and mark there territory as much. IS there Truth to this?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

hey fellas again sorry that I have not been on for a while been pretty busy getting back into the swing of things at work, and trying to get everything ready to head to korea. Haven't been out yet since I have been back home from Western NE. Cold front coming through this week suppose to rain until Friday going to hit the woods on sunday, guy that I hunt his land said that he seen a buck track that looked like it was made by a steer so hopefully get to see what made that!! only suppose to get up to about 50 on sunday so it should be a great day to be in a tree. Hope everyone else is having a good time hopefully with some good luck we can get some points up on the ol' score board!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

You guy's are going to kill me but i encountered a nice big bodied buck this morning and laid the smack down. Don't get your hopes up though, there wasn't much going on up there like i had hoped. I am just taking a break from quartering him up and i will post pictures and a story later. Sorry fellas but in my woods a big bodied buck like this is rare. At least i performed some herd management.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

We are on the board. Congratulations stubb. Great job.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright stubb, congrats man!....just one thing though you just violated the man law, so therfore you got a sack punch comming...lol

Now hurry up with those pics

Quick Reply: Official America's Team Thread (19)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.