Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread >

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Dave are you pumped? 4 days!!! That's awesome! Last night my 7 year old came home and had to write a report on an animal. She picked deer because of our day together. My older daughter is 10 and she actually has been interested in hunting for a couple of years and we went on our first hunt together last October. We have made a plan where she will take her first with a gun in 2 years after she gets her hunter's card and learns to shoot more. She has only been shooting a pellet gun up until now. I'm excited, and look forward to days ahead with my kids in the woods. Here is a picture of me and my 10 year old in a blind last October and she is looking for deer with her binoculars...

Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,

I'm very pumped. By Friday night I probably won't be able to sleep.

That's great that your daughters enjoy the outdoors, especially hunting.I do hope it continues for a long time. What's the legal age for hunting in OK?

It seems like most kids today want to sit in front of a PC or sit around in general.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

They just have to be able to take the class and test and get their card at any age. They just need the H. E. cardand a $10 deertag until they are 16. At 16 they have to buy a license and pay the full $20 for a tag. This year they changed the law in OK where kids can get a buck and a doe in mid-OK for the youth weekend. Up until now it was just a doe. Best opportunity in history for a kid to hunt deer. It's before Muzz and gun and only 2 weeks after bow has started on Oct 1st.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

One other thing...I think they like the outdoors because I have been taking them fishing since they were 2. They can hold there own with the boys and usually know more. Makes dad proud!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's wild that some states have no minimum age. In PA it's 12 years old and I couldn't see myself going out huntingyounger than that even thoughI started shooting 22's at 4-5 and shotguns soon after.

They started the early season in PA a few years ago. For kids it's great. Being an adult that only gets weekends to hunt I'm on the fence. Part of me thinks it takes away from the tradition of buck season in PA and makes the deer more skittish for archers. It was like a holiday the week after Turkey day due to so many kids taking time off to hunt/ like a right of passage.

Overall, it's probably good for the sport. Kids won't have to worry about their first introduction to firearm deer hunting being the madness that is the first day and week of firearm season. As a result will probably be ready for the regular season or if parents prefer they only hunt the October season.

Sounds like you are doing everything right with them. Keep up the good work.

My latest weather for Saturday is low 70's for the day and mid 50's for the night. Slight chance of rain. The forecast keeps getting better. some light rain at times would be nice to maybe get the deer moving.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

I understand what you are saying. I haven't bow hunted anywhere that had a youth hunt so I've never run into any problems. The weather is getting better. I can't wait to hear what happens Saturday. I'm surprised there are no new deer posted after this last weekend. I know it was opening weekend for several hunters in the contest.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was not so much an issue of the hunters as it was as how it effected my season.

The first year they started it you were not allowed to use a bow that weekend.I didn't know that and had driven 3.5 hrs to PA just to archery hunt that weekend. After that it was doe only and I didn't have a doe tag. This year is the first that they are allowing buck.

I just hope that the early season translates into more adult hunters.I agree that it's never been better for youth hunters and i hope more take advantage of something we never had.

I'll probably be telling a tale of siting in a tree all day and watching the squirrels play. I'm trying to decide ifI go for just buck for a while or shoot a doe to take pressure off.

I'm amazed at that also. Only 2 deer submitted. A whitetail in velvet and a blacktail in velvet. A few states start this weekend so it should pick up. Hopefully,I will be submitter #3.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys.. Finally got my cameras out. I set up Three of them... Hopefullly one of them will Show me a shooter...
Old 09-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

In OK the parent or adult with the youth can bring a bow while they youth hunt. As of 2 years ago we can bring a bow to any gun hunt even if its Muzz or gun season. As far as Saturday, I don't think any of us expect you to turn down a doe if you have the opportunity. Have fun.If it was the rut I could understand waiting to see if a buck was following but I think the first day out it wouldn't hurt if you took a doe. Especially since you are not hunting a specific buck you know is in the area.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Three times now that I have tried to post and have been timed out with error messages.
If it works I will post tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.