Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread >

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

its a little wet

On another im really pissed because I just got my hair cut. So I get the old lady with the mullett. her breth stinks, she doesn't say a word, she took forever, and she did a terrible job. I hate it. I said to cut off an inch and what, but she cut like three. and she turned the damn chair so I couldn't see. Then she left it long in the back. Just because she has a mullett doesnt mean I want one.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Is the buck your dad shot?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I hope you all enjoy the day and the time spent with your families!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

You to Scot and team 19! I've had a really good one with my wife and kids today. Plus the Packers won which makes me happy.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

YEAH.. Got a problem.. had the deer hanging at my dads, planned to go and take pics with myself, weapon and deer, and when I got there, he had already skinned it.. so,, we got a problem....There's no way they are gonna let me enter it in the contest...
Old 11-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

yea that was my dad's deer

well up nort at deer camp there were nine deer for 15 people (2 decent bucks). Since I got there , we could have had about 8 more does. I never saw a deer myself. Its really hard to hunt there after opening weekend though, especially considering I had never even walked around on the public land before.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

Well Brad you've definately given it a good effort for our team. Sound like your dad was just trying to help. Did you get any pics without the bow just to share?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys! Well, I'm back from a long hard week of gun season! LOL
It was a GREAT week... and I didn't kill a thing. It started on Sat, Nov 17th... it was the opener in VA. My son Garrett (10) and I had planned all year for this hunt. After makeshifting some clothes together for him (he grew like a weed since last year) we were all set to go to our favorite stand (my favorite anyhow ). The morning was clear and cold @ 24 degrees. We walked out of the house, and were on stand by 6:25, a tad late actually. First shot was 10 mins after we got there, and a few more the first half hour. We saw 3 sets of deer during the first 90mins, all does and fawns. He was excited, but it was waning quickly the colder he got. I urged him to hang in there, that he couldn't get a chance at his first buck ever....if we were back at the house. He agreed to tough it out a while longer, and he did. About 8:20 we heard some rustling and I scoped it out with my binocs. I could see a deer making its way up through the thick stuff about 100yds away, and saw it had some antler. I had no idea what it was, but told him it was a buck. He got ready....man was he pumped. He had his gun resting on the top rail of the stand, waiting for the deer to get clear. His adrenaline was pumping, and so was mine for him. Add that to the cold...he was literally shaking like a leaf. He had to kinda stand/squat to get into postion...which made it worse. I would have felt better if he was sitting, but it was so quiet, we couldn't risk moving his seat and making any noise. I even put my arm behind him to make sure he didn't fall or something, between the shaking like a leaf and the awkward position, it made me feel better at least. I told him to try to calm down, and to take his time. The deer was locked up in a thicket, for literally acoupleminutes. Finally he started to move...and was on the go. There was only 1 spot to even get a shot at him...a shooting lane that Garrett and I cut out 2 years ago. I knew he wasn't gonna stop by his body language, so I told Garrett to get ready and I'd try to stop him. As he entered the lane...I let out a baaaa...he didn't stop. One more time, louder....he stopped right in the lane. I said....there, aim good and take him. Bang...the deer goes down in a forward flip, jumps up and takes off and is out of view in a flash. He was soooo excited he almost started crying, saying "Oh my gosh, I just got my first buck!" over and over. I was excited for him, and tried to calm him down. He said he was right behind the shoulder...I didn't doubt him and based on the deer flippingI figured he took out the offside shoulder on the quartering away shot...and that he probably didn't go far. After a 30 minute wait, and alot of talk....we get down to go check the blood. It was a great trail....he followed it right up on his own, probably 75yds or so. I was elated when we found him...and even more excited to see it was a nice 7pt buck. Whata great deer for a first buck....and the memories for both of us are priceless. He did a great job putting a perfect double lung shot on him at 80yds....that little .243 is awesome! Here he is....

Here is where we found him....where he fell...

Here we are together..... what a morning!

Now....for the rest of the story! Sorry guys, I am still excited!!!

We head to WV for opening week at hunt camp on Sunday. He's already beaming as we roll into camp...the pressure is off. He has the horns with him to show to all his relatives...and gets lots of praise. Oh, and by the way....5 hours after his kill he says, "dad, my face hurts...I can't stop smiling"

Fast forward to opening morning in WV, Nov 19th....we are on stand before light. We see a few deer and had a doe and little one come right up to us and lock on us for 10 solid minutes, at 20yds. He did a great job not getting busted. We were sitting in a fallen tree top, right on a logging road and they were coming right at us. Momma knew something wasn't right and they turned and went around and down out of sight. It was pretty foggy that morning....couldn't see too well. Right after they left....along comes another one, heading in the same direction, following the doe. I see it, but can't make it out...he says "its a buck dad". I ask, are you sure? He says, yep. I say ok....get ready, I'll try to stop him. 4 tries before he finally stopped at 60yds. Bang, the deer jumps with a mule kick and off he runs out of sight....we heard him crash. We gave him about 20mins since we wanted to be sure. We go to the blood trail, and it was good. He went about 75yds as well and was piled up. Garrett and Dad couldn't be happier! Here he is....his first WV buck, and just2 days after his first buck ever! What a great couple of days! This deer ended up being 2.5....hard to believe but true. I guess my little bud did his job on the management end as well! LOL
We ended up taking a few other bucks that week... no whoppers, but some nice ones for where we hunt.My son also got 3 squirrels after he tagged out, and had a great time hunting with his cousins. We had 2 10yr olds, and 2 13yr olds. All in all a great week, and I never fired a shot! Passing the torch is a great thing...I know some of you are doing the same thing, or have already done it. Not that I'm done....LOL Thanks for listening guys! Now its my turn...back to the bow and hopefully some points for Team 19!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:44 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Mike

Congrat Garret for me !!! Great job and great memories for sure!! The smiles says it all !!

Tim
Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Tim! Yep...he's still smiling

Good luck to you guys the rest of this season, keep me posted!

-Mike

Quick Reply: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.