Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Here are a couple of pics of the rack.
I am not sure where to measurefor themass in the correct locations.
The measurments I have are
inside spread 8.5 inches
Lt beam is 11 inches
Rt beam is 9.75 inches
tine on rt beam 2.25 inches long

Old 11-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Here is another one, sorry the pics are so big.
any help scoring would be appreicated.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sideways here is how I would measure your circumferences.

On the left beam I would measure just above the burr. The next three I would take about two inches or so apart going up the beam.

On the right beam I again would measure above the burr then take another measurement about 1/3 of the way up between the burr and the tine. The third measurement I would take 2/3's of the way up. The final one I would take halfway between the first point (G1) and the tip of the main beam.

I am sure we will be informed if someone disagrees with this method.

Rob would be a good one to ask because for two years in a row he has had to measuremain beam with no points.

Congratulations again...sometimes the "little points" score big in competitions like ours.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Antler, thanks
measuring at those pointson the lt beam I come up with, starting at the burr 2.5, 2.25, 2.25 and 2.75 on the rt beam I come upwith 2.5, 2.25, 2.25 and 2.0
According to my calculations with the other measurements get a score of 49.0
I hope to have the picture soon, so I can post it with the score
Old 11-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job Sideways!!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Saturday morning was a perfect morning, it was calm, dry and in the low 40's when I headed out to my stand at 5:15am.
Once strapped andsettled in stand, I gave my arrowa good luck kiss before settling it into the whisker biscuit andnock.
As the morning started to break I noticed how quiet the outdoors could be, a falling leafsounded like an explosion when hitting the forest floor.
I knew this would be the morning.
The sun rose, I could see a light coating of frost on the golden brown leaves that covered the earth below.
All of the sudden I was brought back to realityby the crashing of leaves and the sound of something running, slowly turning to my right and lifting my bow, my eyes wide as saucepans gazed upon 2 large squirrels chasing each other.
After putting my heart back in my chest I sat back down and started laughing to myself and thought if I was squirrel hunting It would have been 2 deer.
Ikept myself amusedfor another 2 hours watching a total of 6 squirrels run aroundand screaming at each other when I heard more leaves rustling behind me. I thought more squirrels. I turnedto looked just to be sure.
Without a second glance I raised my bow, drew the string back, took an extra split second to go thru my mentalchecklist and sent the 75 grain muzzy on its way.
I saw the arrow disappear just behind his shoulder. He turned around and ran the way he came from, 15 seconds later I heard him crash.
Iradioed my buddy Dougand told him I just shot a 3 pointer and I was pretty sure he was down. Doug told me not to get down yet andwait a while to be sure.
I spent the next 30 minutes in my standmentally marking the spot where I shot the buck and the last spot I saw him.
I then decided to see if I could spot my arrow and was disappointed when I could not so I leaned out a little further to the left whenI got busted by a doe that snorted at me 4 times before taking off.
After what seemed like an eternity I got down and went over to where I had shot him, plenty of blood but no arrow, I thought a 20 yard shot from my Mathews SQ2 should have gone right thru. It did, I found the arrowembedded in the ground, blood all over it and the fletchings.
We followed the blood trail for 40 yards or so, there he was in between a couple of deadfalls. My first buck with a bow!
The entrance hole was a little farther back than I thought but it turned out to be a slight quartering away shot that caught the lungs.
Sorry the picture is not that good, it wastaken with a cell phone camera. The pictureand score of 49 have been posted on the score card.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well look's like the mailmen hve come to life and are taking a valid run for the money .I'd like to congratulate Sideway's on his little buck and Antler Eater look's like your really taking this thing serious [Just kidding ] That's one heck of a good buck so congrat's to team mailmen and keep it going .
Extreme 1 If I were you I's sit on the edge of the hardwood's that over look's the thicket and I'd be very patient ,because the buck's will be moving all day long now ,also Jason congrat's on your doe's .

nubo
Old 11-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story sideways, I really enjoyed it! [8D]

Nubo, thanks for the compliment ....
Old 11-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Congratulations Sideways. Thanks for the great story.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good story SIDEWAYS and again congrats on the deer
Every little bit is going to help catch up with that Double xx team

Antler Eater---Seems like you have some experience on measuring deer.Good advise.I to wasnt sure how to measure the "H" measurements on him.I know how to measure around the "G" measurements.But being a spike,I thought you just measured around the base and thats it.Thank you for the info.

Thank you John for the kind words and to Iowabob.I sure do love when we have a cheering section
Thank you also for the congrats on the does,they werent big but is meat in the freezer.
StealthyOne---how you making out bud.? seeing any shooters in your area?

Havent seen Chuck on here in a while.Did he go somewhere

We need to hear from the rest of the gang as well.Have a few guys we havent heard from in a while.

Well as promised,I did go out tuesday morn to no prevail.I sat in the stand bordering the swamp and thick woods.The weather was terrible.It started off breazy,with a temp of -3c.Not bad weather for a calm clear day.Then it started to sleet rain out.I was wet from the sleet and it calmed down.Then started to hail.At one point it was coming down so hard it was stinging my eyes as the wind was in my face.And wouldent you know it,started snowing after my clothing was wet.I looked like a friggen snowman.The snow was froze to me.My hands were so cold I wanted to cry as I just had on a lite pair of wool gloves.I gave up at around 10 am as I had to work in the afternoon.Funny thing is,when I got back to my truck,my face mask(balaclava)was so froze up I could stand it straight up on my seat.
I will be out trying my luck on the edge of the corn field tomorrow morn.I have been seeing some does still feeding on the corn(not cut yet)And with the rut on will hopefully intercept a nice buck.
Good luck guys and hopefully will hear from the other guys soon.
We are in the running

Quick Reply: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.