Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Old 11-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

First off,I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I see things are really starting to slow down in here.I am to blame as well.Havent been on in like 3-4 days.Work is killing me and the weekends is whats keeping me sane.
We got some snow and plan on hunting all day sunday.
I wont be out tomorrow morn as my young guy has a hockey tourny tomorrow and wont miss it.He has gotten 2 shutouts in the past 2 games .If they are done early then I will be out tomorrow evening as well.
Firearms season is ending tomorrow as well.Now I can have the woods all to myself---lol.
I am working mids next week,which is good because it gives me lots of time in the woods.
Hows everyones season going?
Hopefully we can hear from a few of the team members on their season.Havent heard from a few in a while----hopefully they didnt forget about us[&o]
Good luck guys and keep warm.I'll fill everyone in this weekend on my hunt
Old 11-27-2005, 05:55 PM

The regular rifle season here is done and I got 1 doe, but there is still muzzleloader season until next sunday. After that I will be back in the woods with my bow for the late season until like Jan. 3. good luck mail men
Old 11-28-2005, 06:28 AM

Hey everyone. Went to South Dakota for Thanksgiving.Relatives theresaw a 4x3 buck laying dead on the road just outside their driveway. They drug itbehind the barn and let the dogs and cats have their ownThanksgiving feast. Different world out there.My wife would kill me if I drug something like that into the yard for the dog to eat. Still, pretty country and I like the country lifestyle out there. They rifle hunt and usually end up with 3 or 4 nice sized deer for the freezer. No concern over horns, they just want a lot of meat. Plenty of deer to make that happen and sometimes there is a later season for people who couldn't fill their tags depending on the harvest numbers.

While bowhunting, I've been watching a bedded doe and fawns the past few weeks on our property from my stand(no accompanying bucks)and visiting the local WMAs without much luck. Going to do some more serious scouting next year now that I'm into this! Lots of farms around and lots of farmers that my father-in-law, who works at the local farm implement dealer knows.

Good luck everyone!
Old 11-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

I am spending this entire weekend hunting - no g/f & no chores to do. I plan to spend all day out in the woods. I will stalk one if I have to as I have 3000 acres to hunt on. I know where they bed...and there's supposed to be a fresh layer of snow on Friday.
I hope I have a story and pics on Monday.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

How is everyone doing?
Sorry i have not been by for awhile, work is a little crazy right now. I have not even had time to get back out into the woods, my son is driving me as nuts as work is!

Old 12-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Where is everyone at?
I realize we are supposed to be quiet in the woods, but not here!
Come on now I want every one start YELLING

Old 12-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Im here SIDEWAYS. Not much going on with me. Around christmas, We are going to the northern part of the state on my dads buddys land on our annual late season doe hunt. I missed 2 does last year but shot a porcupine. best of luck to everyone.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys,how is everyone doing?
Sorry I havent been on in over a week but my computer is giving me fits.Its been down for a while now,then just when I think I get it figured out another problem arises.
Wife and I are looking at some new computers for christmas,or shortly after.
Hows everyones season coming along?
I have been out a quite a few times since but only seeing does and fawns.Its a good thing though,at least I am seeing a few deer.I havent quite figured out yet where they are feeding on a regular basis but am having fun doing so.I am hoping the 2nd rut will kick in soon though.I was out last saturday and man it was cold,like -21 with the wind chill.I was sitting in a stand on a path between 2 fields intersecting some bush.What you call a natural funnel.The spot looks promising but I havent seen anything on that day,tracks were all over the place though.
Remember when I told you guys that property I was looking at and trying to get,well,I got it.The land owner gave in and now its taking me some time to figure it out.
I am still hunting my stand on the other property.I was there last week and started to draw on a nice doe(have a doe tag as well) then all of a sudden I heard a snap and seen a small fawn coming up to her.He was running and jumping,kicking up snow ,just playing if you will.I couldent shoot mommy with the little lad there,I'm getting soft.I just watched them for about 10 min hoping a buck was near by,but to no advail.She walked off with the fawn and soon after I called it a morning as I had my sons hockey game to go to.
I am still at it guys and hopefully I put one down soon.Its been 2 years,not about to get skunked this year as well.
Good luck to all the ones still hunting.DRESS WARM,its only getting colder------lol
jason
Old 12-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jason!

I defiately agree that it freakin cold outthere .I've been too busy the last 2 week's to even get out ,but i'm hoping to do so this weekend ,I've got 2 deer so far this season ,but only with the rifle .So I'm going to get my butt in gear this weekend and get after that wall mount to finish my season off .I'm getting soft as you are and just couldn't bring myself to shooting a doe with a fawn either this season ,I've had severel chance's but I opted against it as well .I still have 2 tag's left to fill ,hopefull this weekend I'll fill 1 of them.I'm not looking for meat in the freezer ,but if the right oppurtunity arises then I'll take the shot,hopefully it's a big boy .I must say that the deer you got 2 season's ago has inspired me ,to going big or staying at home.

nubo
Old 12-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I went out last weekend. Man, did it storm/snow. I froze my a$$ off and am currently fighting a cold. I drove up to the cottage on Saturday morning and went out hunting at first light, determined to find fresh sign.
I walked the majority of the 600 acre parcel of land my buddy owns and there were only 3 deer that had moved between Friday night and Saturday morning. All of them had coyote and/or wolf tracks following. I figure that is the only reason that they moved in such inclement weather. I didn't figure that it was worth following any of them as they would likely still be on alert.
So, I set up in an area that I know they frequent, put out some doe in heat incense and sat in the crook af a large, triple cedar tree along the edge of an atv/deer trail about 30 yards cross/downwind.
Nothing but squirrels, and birds showed up and I walked slowly out at last light, past my other stand and dropped 6 apples.
I went out Sunday morning to the triple cedar and set up. I sat for about 3 hours, with another incense stick and hitting the doe bleat every 1/2 hour or 45 minutes. I looked over my right shoulder and something wasn't right.... ALL of the low cedar growth (about 2 feet to my right) had been chewed! As I dazed and dreamt of the deer that had munched them, something else looked funny... About 20 feet past that, there was a fresh rub! The tree was only about 2 inches across, but it had been hammered that night.
So, got up and checked for tracks and there they were. Nothing HUGE, but definitely a decent buck. It had walked along the trail, right to where I had been set up, then went into the bush where the doe scent had been blowing and rubbed the tree!
I estimate that it came in right at last light or shortly thereafter. It still walks today, but I have the week off between XMas and New Years, so I know where I am headed if I haven't filled my tag.

However, I am going hunting in another area this weekend with a buddy and his wife. This is where we have the 3 bucks REALLY well patterned and have seen a 130 + deer several times this year. So, hopefully, I will have a better report for next week.

Good luck everyone.

Quick Reply: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.