Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Old 10-10-2005, 02:31 PM

Default RE: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Hey guys, Im back from Wyoming. Opening morning I saw a 27" muley but I didn't feel confident taking a shot at 400+ yards so I got to within 250 and spooked him. Darn! Around noon on opening day I shot an antelope with 11 inch horns but it was massive and wide. I shot him at 285 yards. We hunted on public land all week. As far as bowhunting goes, I havent had much luck. Good luck everyone

Old 10-10-2005, 07:22 PM

I got my first deer ever today! Took a medium size doe after waiting about 45 minutes for the right shot. Ran about 75 yards and collapsed. Tried to get up a few times when I checked after an hour so I hit the ground and laid low for another hour and went back and she was expired. I think the arrow passed through the intestines and one lung. What a rush and what a job dressing a deer for the first time with no instruction other than the video I have from the local farm store ($4). Anyway, registered her and took her to the processor tonight. Now for the buck. I kept thinking to myself, do not use your regular tag, use the bonus permit or you’re done for the year. I’ve heard of that happening to a few guys because they’re so excited and forget. My wife had the camera so I had to dress it out before I could take the picture and I took it in the back of a pickup. BUT there’s not a lot of blood in view and I did keep the tongue in the mouth for the most part. You can notice the frozen milk jugs coming out of the body cavity. The processor said I did a good job cleaning it but that I’ll lose a little of the rump or rear near the pelvis. I forget. Nice guy that runs the meat dept at the local IGA store.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/chucker34/bow006.jpg
Old 10-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeeeehaaaa chuck----congrats to ya.It sure feels awesome to get your first deer,especially with your bow.I wish you luck bud on that big buck now.Did you get any pics of her on the ground for a future blown up picture frame on the wall?
Well guys,with all the thanksgiving dinners I had this weekend(3)I am surprised I even had time to go hunting.I did all 3 morns though and had a great time even with this cool,overcast,rainy,dreary weather.I was sitting in the corner of a corn field this morning and had a doe and 2 fawns within maybe 45-50 yards from me.3 raccoons,and heard turkeys clucking in the corn for about 15 min.All in all,I seen 6 deer this morn and all does.
Did you guys read my story about what happened to me sat morn---lol?

24/7 hunter---Congrats on the antelope----do you got any pics to share with us?glad to hear you had a good time and maybe next year you will get the big 30 plus inch wide mulie.
What kinda rifle you using on your hunt?

NewbHunter----yes,it was one exciting morning----lol-----one I will never forget.And thank you for the good luck on the buck---I need it
Any word on getting the cast off any time soon?

Again congrats chuck---wish I was there with ya
Good luck to everyone---I will be back out wednesday evening on some new ground----I know there are some nice bucks running around there----hopefully I will get the big un
Jason
Old 10-11-2005, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey congratulations on a nice doe chucker34!!! Good for you. Nothing like drawing first blood with a bow, something you won't forget for sure.Now you can concentrate on your buck. With the rut coming right around the corner I would say your timing is good!

24/7 sounds like you had a great trip, congratulations on your antelope! When you add a bow kill buck to your list this year you are going to have a season to remember!!! [8D]

Extreme, I did read your bear story, I am sure I enjoyed your morning more than you did . While I was elk hunting I ran across two bears that were fighting over an elk carcass killed during muzzleloader season. I stalked to within 35 yards of them before I ran out of cover. It was really a rush, I wish I would have had a video camera, they really put on a great show.

Good luck to all the Mail Men...
Old 10-11-2005, 08:13 AM

Thanks Extreme and Antler Eater. I didn't get a photo until my wife got home and until we got the deer in the father-in-law's truck. The deer was starting to puff up a little so I wanted to clean it asap. It was 2 hours from the time I hit it until when I started cleaning. But like I said, it tried to get up after I checked on it after an hour so I figured I better let it sit another hour. It was a really cool feeling when I saw the arrow hit or at least the hole. I mean I let four other smaller ones pass until she got into range so the anticipation was enough to make me fall over. Processor says she is a yearling at about 100 pounds but that was the biggest doe in the group and probably that I've seen this year. Some of the fawns in the group must have been hers because her milk sack was full. It was sad moment when I realized that but I was also happy. I thanked her and told her I was sorry at the same time - if that doesn't sound king of sappy.

Anyway, good luck guys. Extreme, maybe you should start trying for bears instead. Heh heh heh.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:12 AM

24/7, congrats on your antelope!!! I reread your post and realized you got him. I thought you said you missed far and wide but you were talking about his antlers. Cool. So did you stalk or find a good location and set up for the day?
Old 10-11-2005, 06:13 PM

Congrats on your first deer chucker34! I stalked and shot my antelope with my .270. Last night I made a ground blind and hunted out of it. I had a doe and a fawn come within 5 yards of me! I also had a nub buck eating the leaves off the blind! I was pumped. The next day the wind is right I am going there to try and get a doe. Cant wait till the rut! Good luck everyone, lets get those big bucks
Old 10-12-2005, 06:43 PM

BUMP. How's everybody doing? I'm worked up about getting some of my OWN venison back this weekend to grill up. Good luck 24/7 with the does. Still no bucks in sitebut we have plenty of does and the rut is coming soon.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations Chucker34!
I remember my first - like it was yesterday.
I bet you are still smiling.

No bucks for me yet, but have my eye on a few. Still a long season, but I would like to get one before the gun season in the beginnning of November.

No hunting for me this weekend as the g/f says that I have to spend some time with her! Good luck to everyone.

Has anyone else ever had corned venison (like corned beef)? I had some done ono my last deer and it was some of the best meat I have ever had! It cost a few $$, but was well worth it.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still waiting on a nice buck here....I passed on a small fella yesterday morning...I have some more stands to put up yet. Sounds like more warm weather for a while. No big deal I guess, the deer don't seem to be to excited in my part of the world anyway.[&:] Give it two or three weeks and we will see what is happening! [8D]

Quick Reply: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.