Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Old 10-14-2005, 01:41 PM

Default RE: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

StealthyOne, are you kidding? I've e-mailed the photo to everyone I know and some I don't. It's like a 300 class buck to me.Anyway, still pretty warm here and not lots of activity. Corned venison sounds good!

Ibought apop up blind on sale today at the local farm store -Ameristep Doghouse -for $55. Thought I would try the local WMAs without many treeasas I've seen sign out there while pheasant hunting, they are surrounded by corn/beans, and they are not heavily used beforegun season.

Good luck everyone this weekend. Have a good one.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys,sorry I havent been on in the last couple of days.I have been working the day shift this week, and hunting all week day evenings.
I have been seeing some does and fawns and 1 small 6 point.Wednesday night I had a 6 point within 25 yards of me and just last nite I had 3 does come into the clearing and the biggest doe was within 15 feet of me.She was feeding for about 2-3 min and looked in the long grass I was sitting in and spotted something she didnt like(me)I had ample time to shoot her 3-4 times over but had decided not to.She ran about 30 yards from me,stomped her feet quite a few times and blew 2 times and took off into the woods.I still had about an hour left but hadent seen anything.The bucks are just not moving yet.
I will be out tomorrow morn and sunday morn as well.The afternoons are out because my son starts his first games this weekend.Hopefully something will happen this weekend.We need to get ourselves on the board----lol
Good luck to everyone this weekend and I will let everyone know how tomorrow morn goes.Supposed to rain all weekend----oh well
Jason
Old 10-15-2005, 07:04 PM

Hey Extreme. Good luck to you and your son. Hope you get to go to most of his games this year. Does he play them mostly close to home or does he do the traveling team thing?

Anyway, no bucks really moving here and I probably won't try again until next weekend. I broiled some venison chops tonight that were pretty much awesome. I found this recipe where I marinated them in 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup dark beer, 2 tbsp dijon mustard, 2 tbsp brown sugar, and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic. Broiled them for about 5 minutes on each side and were sweet and tender. Sliced them up and served them up to the relatives with some crackers and sharp cheddar cheese. Made for a nice appetizer. Went well with beer.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey everyone, it's been a while. I've been without internet at school for two weeks now because my less than itelligent roomate cancelled it and meant to sign up for DSL, and never got around to it. Needless to say, I'm home now on fall break. I only have been able to go out opening day when I hit a doe in the "dead zone" just above her lungs, so it passed through all muscle...she will live to walk another day so I'm happy as far as that goes. This weekend has been good. I've seen deer everyday since Friday. Passed on a small four and five point, I've seen deer every morning and evening out, just no shot opportunity. Last night it was really windy, so not much stirring, although I had a flock of turkeys fly up to roost around me, which was cool. Going out Monday morning so we will see. Good luck to everyone.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey chuck---I usually dont miss to many games over the season unless my shift dosnt allow it.He plays in the Ottawa valley region which means we also do the traveling thing.Seems to have more away games then home games.Yesterday was his first game of the season.They played a strong team(kanata)we lost 4-3 but it was an awesome game.

Well saturday morn didnt produce anything.All I seen was a coyote,within shooting range but he was heading to the corn field,so I opted to leave him alone.You never know what he will push out for me
This morn was also a terrable day as well,didnt see anything.The wind was very strong today,making me get out of my stand earlier then expected.Branches were starting to break in the woods,then it started to rain,go figure.All in all it was a pretty miserable weekend weather wise.But still good to be in the woods.
I am working mids this week,allowing me to be able to hunt most evenings this week if I stay on the wifes good sideI just may do some house cleaning this morn,maybe some laundry to gather up some brownie points
Its really starting to cool off here as well,going to be a high of 12c this afternoon.This morn was a comfortable 4c(40f)except for the wind.No frost this week at all,way to wet and clowdy with rain almost everyday.
We need to get some cold weather,clear nites,and a good frost to really get these bucks worked up.Not much going on in the woods for scrapes or rubs.
Been rattling and grunting with no responses at all.Soon I hope.
Hope all you gentlemen are having more luck then me[&o]So far I have seen a small buck,ample does and fawns,bears,coyotes ,squirrels,raccoons.I am sure it will pick up,just gotta have alot of patience
Well Im off to earn those brownie points and take the young guy to the game this afternoon.
Good luck guys
Jason
Old 10-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey matt----good to see ya back posting
Glad to hear you are having fun and seeing lots of deer activity.I think you will bag the buck soon.Sorry to hear about the doe,maybe next time.
So did you get the DSL connection?
I have the high speed DSL and love it,dosnt take to long for the pages to open.
Last year I had a flock of turkeys roost in the trees I was in .They really make a racket when they hit the branches.I wasnt sure what was happening intill I had one land on a branch in the top of a tree I was sitting in.
Are you coming to Sharbot Lake anytime soon?
good luck to ya
Old 10-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Extreme 1 !

I was out this morn as well ,but as you say the wind was pretty high and I also got out of the stand for that reason here,not to mention that the dirt bike's were having their Cross country competition here in the re forestration .I bet there must have been 100o bike's in it so there wasn't any reason to stay on stand .I'd like to get out tonight but Hayley has a game in Base Borden tonight so I guess hunting's out of the question .I'm also on night shift this week ,so I'll try and get out in the morn's as well.
My friend and I have found a good spot where there's a good buck scraping all to hell ,so we took in a stand a located it near his trail .I agree the buck's just aren't moving here either ,but now that the temp's are starting to drop off, it shouldn't be long .
The kid's have been having try out's all weekend long and the wind has been bad since yesterday ,so it's made hunting almost impossible .

nubo
Old 10-18-2005, 09:00 AM

BUMP. Hey Matt. Welcome back. We have DSL too and like it. Anyway. It's going to be 74 today. I'm sure the bucks will be relaxing in the sloughs. Maybe wearing their sunglasses and reading the latest copy of Field and Stream so they knowwhat NOT to do. But it's supposed to be in the low 50s the rest of the week and possibly dropping lower the next week. It's about time. Leaves will be off of all of our trees within a week or two. Hope to make it out some this weekend. and will definitely try to get out as much as I can the next few weeks before gun season starts. Will probably be out then too. Last year's shotgun season taught me where the deer head for safe harbor and I plan to hunt the trails near there but not too close.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good afternoon guys.I just woke up planning to hunt this evening but not sure if I will or not.Its really blowing out with black clowds.A storm is brewing up.I am going to wait it out for a bit and see what happens.
Its really starting to get quiet on the team thread lately.Must be a good thing.Everyone must be out hunting and enjoying mother nature.
We havent had good weather for almost two weeks now.I think I seen the sun sunday afternoon and peek out yesterday afternoon.I hear its supposed to be great weather this weekend though.
How is everyone making out on there stands.?
Chuck---good luck with the new spot,hopefully it produces something for ya.
Antler Eater--notice you on the forums quite a bit,have you been seeing much at all?
Well Im looking outside and decided to go out anyways,what the heck.An evening in the wind and rain is better then an evening on the couch watching TV.
I'll let everyone know how I fair out when I get in.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

extreme1,

Yep, I have been out for at least a couple of hours everyday except one since the 1st. No big buck sightings to report. I have taken a doe but that is hardly news worthy; for someone that hunts as much as I do I could have shot at least a half dozen or moredoes by now. I have only seen five bucks so far and I could have killed four of them. Things are slow but it should pick up in the next week or so.

Everybody keep at it. Half of the battle is just being out there. A guy can't kill them laying on the couch watching football or looking at Will Primos doing it.

Quick Reply: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.