2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Old 10-22-2005, 09:35 AM

Default RE: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Hey guys. Was able to get out this morning for a few hours this morning and nothing. Good news is that it's cooled down considerably, from the 70s down to the 40s.

Tried out my ground blind for the first time. Practiced drawing in it some more and its a tight fit but it works. Heard a clicking sound when releasing and discovered that I waxed the string and cables so good the other night that I must have gunked up the cable guard clip with wax. So it kind of clicks and drags along the guardwhen you draw and release slowly. Will have to get the hair dryer out or something to get rid of it.

Also moved my scrape dripper and created some more mock scrapes closer to the blind. I placed the blind itself in the "bermuda triangle" - in the middle of three trails that form a triangle. All of them are at least 15yards and no further than 25 yardsfrom the blind. I had set it up last week, raking away all the leaves inside down to bare dirt and brushing it in some, but it is surrounded already by a good number of saplings and brush.

Good luck everyone. Gonna try again tomorrow night or Monday night but I think things should really start picking up in this part of the world in another week or two. Already let my wife know I'll be doing some more all day hunts in early to mid November. We have a two day gun hunt the first weekend and then a four day gun hunt the next and then muzzleloader for a few weeks at the end of the month into December. I plan to bowhunt before, after, and probably duringeach as I'm sure they'll be getting pushed around quite a bit.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys its saturday evening and I am beat.Hunted all morn and then went to another property to check on trails and stands.
Seen 2 does this morn and 20 turkeys strutting past me like they owned the woods,some big toms in the mix as well.
That stupid bear was in my clearing again this morn,not sure what is going on with him,but just dosnt want to leave me alone.I did get in my stand at 5:30 this morn ,saw him,and he left willingly on his own this time.I think I educated him a couple weeks ago-----lol
The weather this morn was absolutely perfect-- it was -4c,real heavy frost and a very slight breese from the north,perfect hunting conditions,probably the best day I had yet.Supposed to rain,and a mixture of snow tomorrow,being a high of 4c.
Going back in the morn,I think the bucks are starting up as I am seeing scattered scrapes around.I made a mock scrape 20 yards from my stand this morn on the way out.Hopefully a buck checked it out and will come and give it a good working over.Especially with this miserable weather coming up they will be working overtime to keep them fresh.
Antler Eater---congrats on the doe---could have taken a quite a few myself but opted not to
You are right about one thing though----cant shoot a deer from the couch.Good luck man.
Chuck----Glad to hear your weather is getting better,about time.
Havent hunted out of a portable blind myself but may purchase one next year and give it a go,good for new spots and along field edges with no trees for a stand.
Another hint---when putting your wax on the string,rub it in good with a piece of leather,the friction will heat it up and melt it into the strands.This way you wont have an excess amount of wax build up.
I seen OHBowhunter on the thread-----just sent him a PM and asked him to let everyone know how he is making out
To all the ones hunting this weekend----GOOD LUCK
Jason
Old 10-23-2005, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Extreme#1

Glad to hear your getting out lot's ,hopefully you get yourself a big one to go with the Rambrough Buck on your wall ,I'm going to check out my game cam tomorrow morn to see if anything's been working my mock scrape ,I've had to work night's all weekend 7:30 pm till 7:30am ,so noe time to get out this weekend ,but you can bet I'll be out tomorrow .Let me know how your day work's out for you. Good luck to all your team mate's .

nubo
Old 10-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Hello all.
sorry it's been awhile since i have posted, been busy between work and trying to get out in the woods.
We have seen quite a few does, the nicer ones just out of range butmy son and I still have not seen any decent bucks except for last night when we left the lease a fairly decent 6 pointer was standing on the side of the road comming off of the lease.
I swore he had a grin on his face as we drove by!
Extreme, I have been thinking about doing a mock scrape, but not sure how.
Do I need to get a dripper? if so, what kind of scent should i use? should I make some mock rubs in the area as well?
I don't want to overkill the area.
Any help would be appreciated

Old 10-23-2005, 09:22 AM

SIDWAYS, I just made one mock scrape and hung the dripper above it about 8 feet. Then I made sure there was a licking branch about 5 feet above the scrape - just a small one. If there isn't any, you can nail one on. I used the Active Scrape from wildlife research center (doe in estrus and buck). I did this last year and noticed damplander from Wisc. did the same thing (used that scent)this early. He has been seeing some bucks on his trail camera investigating the scrape and freshening it but I haven't seen any in my area. I have used Trail's End from WRC too and that has a curiosity and doe in estrus scent. I used that last year in my dripper and it stopped a buck hot on the trail of a doe for a milisecond. Lesson learned there with the shotgun was be ready to shoot in that milisceond because just like that he was weaving in and out of trees again leaving me no good ethical shot. My strategy is hoping the dripper might attract bucks already in the area and make them stop for the one or two seconds I'd need to release the arrow. I am VERY new at all this though and am learning by trial and error.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

good deal chucker. I will head out and pick up a dripper.
Are you doing any mock rubs in the area of the mock scrape?
Old 10-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

I just read the post you were talking about, nice pictures.
sounds like it's worth a shot.
thanks again Chucker
Old 10-23-2005, 09:55 AM

Good deal. I take a pruning saw and lightly rub on the tree. Don't want to make nice smaller bucks think they're dealing with a world class brute.Anyway, good luck. Hope to get out myself tonight but tonight (if wind dies down in my favor) or tomorrow night for sure.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

Hi all Sorry but I have not been able to post in a while. I switched online companies, and when they reworked the site I lost my password and could not loggin. I finally figured out how to contact admin to get a new one . I want to thank Extreme1 for trieng to help me place my banner corectly . I hope every thing is going good for everybody.I was able to put one down saturday morning. 9 point dressed out at 190 lbs. I am guessing 110-115 only because the right side of the rack had a small hole , I would guess from a tick. So it grew a double brow tine but shorter tine lenghths or I would say it would of went a bit higher. Tommorow I will post some pictures and a real measurement. A complete story also.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

OHBowhunter, Hey buddy congratulations!!!!

Way to "Deliver"!!!!

I can't wait to see the pics!!!

Man that is just what we needed, way to come through fella!!!

Quick Reply: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.